650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
Radar

PostPosted: February 23, 2008, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

I was digging through all my old stuff, and I found a nice set of Koni shocks.

They're a touch longer than the factory shocks, but they're pretty nice... and adjustable too...

I was wondering if others have wandered into this territory...

Thanks,

Eric M. (Radar is my Dog)
TheDude

PostPosted: February 23, 2008, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

maybe you should slap 'em on and see how they work.

PostPosted: February 23, 2008, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

Well-

I'd have to re-bush one end, and I was concerned about chain tension, and I'm in the middle of an exhaust system problem, and I'm also adapting a really nice set of foot pegs right now, and my back hurts and the sun is in my eyes.

So, I was wondering if anyone has used this type/length of shock...

They're Koni 7610P-1418

Thanks,

grizld1

PostPosted: February 24, 2008, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want a performance suspension, it's necessary to lift the rear (13.25" eye-to-eye at the very least) to quicken steering. If you want your ride to handle like a truck and let you nap at the bars while cruising down the Interstate, you won't like taller shocks.

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

grizld1,

I'm taking that as good news. The Konis I have are 13." center to center.

So..what I hear you saying is that they won't help performance, but they won't hurt the factory handling.

And no... I'm not one to nap, so I guess I'm pretty good to go.

I may be able to press out the steel bushings from an old set of shocks and install them in the Konis...

Have you ever tried using a vise for this purpose? I'm thinking I might be able to press them in and out using the same method I've used for taking out and installing drivline U-joints.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

5twins

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

The original shocks used no metal bushing in the top eye, just rubber. I think this is due to the large diameter of the upper stud mount. On my Konis, I followed suit and just used rubber at the top. You can probably use a vice to press the rubber and metal bushings in and out. I use my hydraulic press (carefully) just because I have it.

Ikon bought out Koni and still makes the shocks. They use the same part numbers so you can look up your shocks on their spec chart here .....

www.ikonsuspension.com...s-full.pdf

They sell rebuild kits and parts, including the rubber and metal eye inserts.
I have no idea what the inserts cost but I'm thinking the shipping all the way from Australia would make them very expensive.
royfisk

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

uh Im going 14.25, want out of control fast handleing caractoristics, not much for relaxation. plus add 2" extension up front for ground clearance. the extra 2" of travel in the rear will be a nice feature on the pot holes.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

you still working on that XS TT or is it YZ Roy? pics would be nice
grizld1

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

Radar, the Koni's will give you a definite improvement in handling over the stock units--they actually damp, for one thing! Most aftermarket shock kits come with bushings in a variety of ID's. Hunt a bit and you'll find something to fit.

PostPosted: February 26, 2008, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

5twins-jayel-Griz,

14 and a quarter?- Wow, and I was worried...

It's an xs standard of the early 78 variety, and that's all I know. I do wish I understood the alpha-suffix everyone uses... I dunno...

You're right... I took one shock off and saw that the top-end was rubber bushing only... I'll check out Ikon too... Thanks... It's like a word jumble... Koni/Ikon... I get it...

Can I get some input about exhaust? I have, from all my old stuff, a set of supertrapps from a Honda, I think.

They're painted cone-shaped steel giving way to the aluminium "Trapps."

Do you think it would look stupid to go from chrome header-pipes to painted steel "cones" to aluminium mufflers?

How do you spell aluminium?

No pics... I'm embarassed, and my bike is shy... (read- I'm embarassed.)

Thanks tons, you guys-

Hey, listen- I truly appreciate you folks telling me what you know. I have no life, but I have a spectacular view and an old Yamaha and an exceptional pooch, Radar. He's the best Dog.

Radar

PostPosted: February 26, 2008, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

Oops, Mr. Fisk too...
royfisk

PostPosted: February 26, 2008, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

Jayel that bike gets a couple days work here and there and then put in a corner for everyone elses stuff and lack of money to finish. I would like to ride it this summer with the stock motor but still need a pair of 3"supertrapps,with packings, 14.25 shocks red wing hammerheads, tires, and then chain, battery. I want to ride her that way this summer, then tear it down again next winter and bigbore it, repaint it and finish it off.
grizld1

PostPosted: February 26, 2008, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

I absolutely agree, Eric! Those Supertrapps would look ridiculous; you really need to get 'em out of the way and make some space. Just let me take 'em off your hands, won't even charge a disposal fee.

Those late Standards are getting to be rare items--nice find!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 26, 2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

know how it is roy, the shoemakers children have no shoes --now my shocks are the perfect lenght they reach from the top mounts of the frame to the bottom mounts on the swingarm, like of like what abe lincoln said when he was asked how long a mans legs should be, long enough to reach the ground he anwsered
royfisk

PostPosted: February 26, 2008, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

supertrapps??? I am in the market for a set. Any one seen a good deal on the 3" series??? The 220 a pair syndrom is hard to swallow. I know you get what you pay for. Ive run them before. But seriously anyone know where I can beat 220 a pair?/
Radar

PostPosted: February 27, 2008, 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

um...three words-

Neener neener neener-

When you say 3", are you referring to the inlet side?... 4" output?

Did I accidently save something good?

I've always liked S-Trapps, but they're so expensive, and I never found a place for these. But, with those honda cones, they look like a perfect fit for the XS. -got lucky-

Damn-O

I'll keep digging...
royfisk

PostPosted: February 27, 2008, 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

1.5" inlet 3" diameter muffler body black. Long stroke motors benefit real well with these mufflers due to the tuneable backpressure from the discs. The exhaust note is nothing short of nice. Downfall of these however is short lived packings, The muffler sounds better and better as the season goes on but at one point it becomes a noise problam with the local police. But I can change packings when the performance is that good.
royfisk

PostPosted: February 27, 2008, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

heck I think Ill order some today, bite the bullet and indulge in sweet melody
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How long are your rear shocks?

Mine are a hair over 10 inches.

See this: www.650rider.com/index...4304#24304

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1