650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > left side still stuttering

left side still stuttering
    Forum Index -> Engine
XduncanX

PostPosted: February 19, 2008, 12:42 am    Post subject: left side still stuttering

Ok, so I finally got my right side cylinder to start acting properly (right side exhaust had a big hole, got a new exhaust, gravy) but now the left side is acting up. There are no leaks I can find in the exhaust. The jet needle on the left carburetor had the tip broken off, so I replaced and I did my best to dial it in. Its close, but it still stutters on deceleration and sometimes pops. What else should I be looking at?
Thanks,
Duncan
5twins

PostPosted: February 19, 2008, 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: left side still stuttering

What year 650? More importantly, what year carb set? Adjust your mix screws to start. They may be set too lean. From there, it's anybody's guess. Is your bike modded? If so then you may need to re-jet.

I know, that's probably not much help but without more specific info on your bike and mods, it's hard (well, really impossible) to help you .
XduncanX

PostPosted: February 19, 2008, 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: left side still stuttering

Sorry, 75 bike with stock carbs. I put on new header pipes and mufflers. I thought it might be running lean, but when you set both sides the same, my right side sounds fine, but the left side still stutters and pops. The new pipes should effect both sides the same, right? No matter how I adjust it i cant fine tune the left to sound as good as the right. If it is running lean, how do I know? Is that just something I have to experiment with?
grizld1

PostPosted: February 19, 2008, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: left side still stuttering

1. Check timing on both sides in both retarded and advanced modes with a strobe (that should be done, along with timing chain and valve lash inspections, before attempting carb work anyway).

2. As 5twins says, set fuel screws. Do it independently by dead-cylinder method.

3. Check sync.

4. Check left carb boot and throttle shafts for air leaks.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1