650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > motorcycle lift

motorcycle lift
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
whynot2

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 3:01 pm    Post subject: motorcycle lift

I am tired of laying on the ground to work on my bikes. I just can not bend over any more. Do any of you guys use a lift like the ones advertised in Harbor freight? Or even the jacks they sell at sears? Can you get to oil drain plugs on the jacks? Isn't the jack in the way. I like the concept of the lift and don't mind the price. I end up having to pay a chiropractor if I work on a bike too long. It will pay for itself in 2 seasons. But are the harbor freights lift junk or are they OK?
Thanks for your help, Greg
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: motorcycle lift

I built a table 7 feet long 2.5 feet wide and about 2 feet high and push my bike up a plank onto the table strap it down and work on it there. works great cost about 70 bucks.
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: motorcycle lift

Forget the jack, you're in about the same boat as using the centerstand. they don't work too well on most bikes. I use the Harbor freight lift, best 300 bucks I ever spent on tools. I've had it for about 2 years and I love it. I think they have a air/hydraulic unit now also. Mine just has the foot pump- a little slower to use but I'm not a pro, so it's for occasional use. When I put a bike on the lift it's usually a project and it'll be on there for awhile.

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: motorcycle lift

i built a bench similar to the one roy described. i have a workshop stool with wheels, and its quite comfortable.

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: motorcycle lift

the jacks at sears suck!!!!! i had two of them and through one out cause it was a waist of space, they are good for working on 4 wheelers and thats the only reason i kept one around, on my xs projects i use my handy lifts i know i know, they are expensive but they are like a sore dick you just cant beat it, if you are looking for a cheaper version of the handy lift and not using it in a buisness where it goes up and down all day long Greg Smiths Catalog sell them for around $600, it comes with the wide sides and the clamp, the equal lift from Handy would cost around $1400. I recomend an airlift over the electric as well, i had nothing but problems when using the electric lift.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: February 16, 2008, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: motorcycle lift

I have the Harbor Freight table lift as well and think it's just wonderful for the money. Mine was even cheaper, about $250 on sale and with a 15% off coupon from one of their fliers. My complaints are just minor. The Chinese grease fittings are junk and a couple either broke off or pulled right out of their holes when trying to remove the grease gun. The nuts and bolts supplied are very soft and break easily, especially the small M6s for the wheels. The table also has sharp corners on the 4 folded up corners and on the front wheel stop. My grinder and a bit of touch-up paint fixed that.

I started with a table like Roy (and still have it) but it takes 2 people to safely load or unload a bike. My shop is rather small so I can't get a running start at the ramp Very Happy . With this new table lift, I can do it all by myself. I had 3 different bikes on it last summer in quick succession. Here she is in action along with my old standby work table .....

hf lift.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.64 KB
 Viewed:  100 Time(s)

hf lift.jpg

old work table.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.77 KB
 Viewed:  90 Time(s)

old work table.jpg

whynot2

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: motorcycle lift

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I thought of building an elevated work station but my work space is small and I have to use the lift for a parking spot when not useing it as a lift. Four bikes, a work bench,a small table, a toolchest, a generator in a one car garage. I have to park one outside to work on a bike. If I can park a bike on the lift and I think I can, then it will work. thanks for the pictures. Greg
1989 FJ1200
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: motorcycle lift

Yes, you can park a bike on it. In fact, that is how mine is now, tucked into a corner of the shop with a bike stored on it for the winter.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1