650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > safty relay

safty relay
    Forum Index -> Electrical
ponyjr

PostPosted: February 13, 2008, 10:50 pm    Post subject: safty relay

what does this thing do? do i need it? how do i get rid of it?...also what is the black rectangle box with a yamaha logo on it under the tank?
Photo Gallery
electronicx

PostPosted: February 26, 2008, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

The safty relay gets 6 volts from the alternator as soon as the engine starts. It drops out one relay disconnecting power to the starter solonoid. then pulls in another relay to put power to the head light.

650rider.com/index.php...cle&sid=32

The other part is the flasher canceling unit. (I think)
Photo Gallery
snapcasezx3

PostPosted: March 21, 2008, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

If this relay goes bad will you get no spark?
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 27, 2008, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

Close - see my diagram in the News Section for wiring of a safety relay - one relay get 6volts from the alternator and opens the starter circuit - so you can not turn the starter over with the bike running - the 2nd relay turns on the headlight.

Does not affect spark at all.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

How can I test the headlight relay to see if it is working. My electric starter works fine and the motor runs well, but the headlight will not come on (neither High beam or low beam.) I checked the headlight with a battery and both beams are working. I also removed the emergency lighting device and jumpered the two wires (Blue to BY if I remember correctly). All of the electrics on the bike work fine except for the headlight and I suspect its the relay.

Wayne
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

Swap it out with another one.......???.....me I'm a parts swapper......and part collector for that reason.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

try this

080330162413.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.84 KB
 Viewed:  153 Time(s)

080330162413.jpg

080330162117.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.52 KB
 Viewed:  124 Time(s)

080330162117.jpg

WayneMeuir

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

Jayel, I am not very good with electrical diagnostics, but I finally did the test in above diagrams. Here are the results:

When I do the test in Figure 7.33 as shown above, I get an "open" meaning there is no resistance reading on the ohmmeter, needle never moves. Diagram says I should see 24 ohms.

When I do the test in fugre 7.34 on the left, when the battery is disconnected, it shows a dead short, when I connect the battery, it opens the circuit and I get 0 ohms. I think that paortion of the test is working properly.

When I do the test on the right side of figure 7.34, I get an open with or without the battery being connected. 0 reading on the ohmmeter either way.

So, does this sound like the relay is screwed?

I have been trying to buy one off ebay but have been out bid on the last two.

Wayne
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

The SAFETY RELAY has NOTHING to do with SPARK. It only deals with the STARTER MOTOR and the HEADLIGHT.

IF the starter works - your safety relay is fine.

GO TO THE HOME PAGe and click on NEWS and click on my article on "650 dies but restarts"

Even if this is not your problem - it is an excellent trouble shooter for the TCI igniton system.

Jim

Photo Gallery
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

I don't have an ignition problem. Bike starts and runs fine, but headlight will not work. What I suspect is happening is that after the engine starts and the starter side of the relay opens, the headlight side is supposed to close and send power to the headlight and that is not happening. I am not getting 12v at the plug inside the headlight. I have already taken the RLU off and jumpered the B/BL to B/Y and the headlight still does not work. Every thing else on the bike works correctly. I have checked the sealed beam with a battery and both high and low beam are working fine.

Wayne
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

Ok here is what you do -

Screw the relay -

Attach a wire to the Red/Yellow (red wire with yellow stripe) 12+ wire going into the safety relay - and another wire to the Blue/Black (blue wire with black stripe) wire coming out of the safety relay - run both wires to a SPST (single pole) 12 volt switch - and that will turn your head light on.

You can also tie the RY & BLb wire together - and break the RY circuit at the handlebars to put in a headlight switch there!

If you want it to be automatic - buy a 6volt relay - and follow the schematic above to replace the failed light side (right on the schematic above) of your safety relay with the new one. (secure it to make it watertight).

OH - by the way - you can open the Safety Relay metal case that contains the relay - and physically clean the contacts of the relay and check the solder joints - wires etc. That is what I would do first!

safety copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.93 KB
 Viewed:  119 Time(s)

safety copy.jpg

Photo Gallery
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: safty relay

Jimdi, thanks, I will try to open up the relay and see if I can tell whats wrong with it. If I can't figure it out, I will just bypass the stupid thing.

Wayne
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 16, 2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: safty relay

As I recall - the wires under the relay setup are covered in some sort of amber gunk to keep water out - that can be scraped off with an exacto knife. If you use an ohm meter to test the diode and the reistor - they need to be pulled out of the circuit to give an accurate reading.

Also the caps are held over the relays by a metal band that has a screw in the center of it. - remove that band - then check the underside for any tabs (I don't think there are any) then just a firm pull to lift the covers off of the relay. A small hobby file or fine sandpaper folded over is great for cleaning the contacts. YOu are concerned with the blue-black wire side relay - but let me ask one stupid question -

You did check to make sure the headlight is good? and the Fuse is Good?

PUt a voltmeter between the BL-B wire and ground with the bike running - if you have 12 - then your problem is not the safety relay - but something in your wiriing to the headlight.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1