650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Tires

Tires
    Forum Index -> Drive
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 10, 2005, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Tires

Can someone verify that a 3.50-19 metrified is 100/90-19 and a 400-18 is 110/90-18. Also anyone have a special brand they love? How about vendors. I believe that the bike originally had Bridgestone tires?

TIA

Bill

XS650F
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: November 12, 2005, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires

You are correct in your sizing. I have 100x90x19 front and 110x90x18 rear on my Bonneville. I'll get the same sizes for the Yam too when it's time for tires. As for brand and model I have Avon Super Venoms on the Triumph. These are just the best tires for the hard ridden Triumph but they cost $. For the Yam, being a cheaper project, I'll use Chen Shing Baracudas. Some like the Chen Shing HyMax which have a tread like a Metzler and these cost even less.

Tom Graham, 77D
xs650mike

PostPosted: November 12, 2005, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires

I agree about the Barracudas, really good sticky tires and long wearing too. I was riding in the rain yesterday and they're good for that too. The Hi-Maxes are good but wear out really quickly just like the Metzler Lazer they're patterned after. I just changed out a Metzler Lazer front that wore out in only 4,000 miles on my XS1100, these tires have very little tread depth. I do kind of ride hard though. Whatever you do don't buy Cheng Shin Marquis, they stick good and wear well but the steering feel sucks eggs. For the rear tire you could go to a 120/90-18 which would give you slightly more meat and also raise the rear slightly for more cornering clearance, it'll also load the front more...the XS is notoriously light in the front and heavy in the rear which is why they don't handle as well as an old Brit bike.

The OEM Bridgestones (Mag Mopus) that came on Yammies were crapola tires. A good choice for a Bridgestone would be the Spitfires, really excellent tires. The older XS650s came stock with Dunlop K70 Gold Seals, a good tire but kind of old fashioned. They have the advantage of being good on packed dirt roads as well as pavement. Cheng Shin makes a cheaper copy of the K70 which my friend has on his old Triumph...he likes 'em. Whatever you do don't buy Dunlop RWL Qualifiers, they're overpriced Honda OEM crapola. When it comes to tires price does not necessarily equal quality. I'm not brand loyal and have tried a lot of different tires over the years (been riding since 1958), some work better than others on certain bikes but don't work as well on other bikes. I buy what works for me on my bikes and for the XS650 my choice is the CS Barracuda front and rear.

Check the prices at JC Whitney, Dennis Kirk, Chapparal and anyone else you can think of online. I got my Barracudas from Whitney but they took forever to arrive. I've also gotten good deals from local independent bike and tire shops but you usually have to take what they've got in stock unless they'll order for you. HTH.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 12, 2005, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires

Thanks. Looks like Barracudas are the way to go. They will look nice under the Xmas tree.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1