650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > oil filter question

oil filter question
    Forum Index -> Engine
geezerbiker

PostPosted: January 5, 2008, 9:51 pm    Post subject: oil filter question

'82 XS650 special. Since the oil filter that sits in the sump costs $24.00 to replace, I'm thinking of not putting one there. I know, I know, bad idea. But if all that means is more frequent oil changes, that's okay. What I'm wondering is if that filter isn't there, will the oil not be able to flow the way it should?
murph

PostPosted: January 5, 2008, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

You can replace a ripped sump filter.... Here
I don't think running your bike without one is a good idea.

1983 xs650sk:sold
1979 xs650f:parts
-1979 xs400
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 5, 2008, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

Don't even start it without a sump filter.....one little chunk of the starter gear in the oil pump and its over...........can epoxy the high velocity side where it rips to keep the screen from collapsing......plenty of other area there on the sides and back to take in the oil.........did mine 40 thou ago and it is still ok........

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

I did the right thing and put a brand new sump filter in my bike.

Next time I opened the sump, it was torn just like the old one.

As far as I'm concerned, just run the ripped one. Otherwise it's just a waste of money.

But hey, I could be wrong.

y point is I've been running a ripped one 95% of the time I had the bike and nothing bad happened.

Changing oil often would be more worthwhile I think.

Besides, I don't use a starter.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

The old 650 Society trick is to solder a second layer over that weak spot where the pump sucks a rip in the screen. Just clean the filter with acetone first--works every time. 40K, John? You've got me thinking about setting that second layer in with epoxy instead.

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

Was thinking a L shapped bracket could be welded on the top and going over and down the high velocity side so the element would still be underneath....like a 1/4" or so from the element along the side that gives in......I think the oil slinging on them off the crank at high velocity is what is caving them in there.........

That is a pretty large filter so I just epoxy over the places that seem to fail....

John
Photo Gallery
geezerbiker

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

Okay, I'm a moron, but I threw away the old sump filter, assuming it was worthless. Trying to repair didn't occur to me. I wouldn't have to worry about bits of any part of the starter, because I removed the starter and will be going kick only. My only concern is that the sump cover seems to have a sort of port going through it. Is the sump filter necessary in order to direct the flow of oil, or doesn't it matter?
Tomterrific

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

Why don't you just buy the filter screen? It's good policy to have a screen in the sump. Even new cars still run a screen over the oil pickup. In the case of the XS there are gears and a clutch spinning in the same oil the engine is going to suck up. Replace the screen.

General list tip for the day: Never, and I mean NEVER throw any old motorcycle parts away. In many cases these parts become unobtainium. Junk to you is treasure to somebody, probably you in a few moments.

Tom
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

Don't think it directs the oil just filters out particles..??? ..but it could help break up the foaming thing in the oil maybe..and help keep the oil in the bottom by reducing the slinging action....??.....that's why I wasn't so worried about epoxying up the broke higher velocity side thinking since it is so big and that taking the oil from the low velocity side might reduce gulping the froth..???..if there is any there...who knows you might be the first one to 100 thousand miles without a sump filter......the clearances in the oil pump are very very close though and a piece of junk from anywhere can bust it....or hog out the tight clearances and reduce it's efficency......increased side clearances over time and it pumps less.....checked my side clearance a 30 thou and it was at max so I reduced it to .002 thou......manual shows the correct side clearances....

Here is just an idea........below.....a shield to reduce the damaging effect of the slinging oil it that is what is causing filter failure.........

John
Photo Gallery
dps-rider

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

John, so that's what breaks them, the oil slinging off the crank? Never really thought about it but it makes sense.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

I think so.....with as little as the oil pump puts out I can think of no other good reason.......couldn't be from the huge suction which isn't happening.......

John
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

I think it's thick (cold) oil over pressurizing the mesh, starting out before the engine has a chance to warm up causes them to rip as the oil pressure increases
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

3-to max 15lbs oil pressure ain't much.....I can pee faster than that oil pump is working on a good night....cold oil slinging on it could have a more dramatic effect........it is usually the high velocity side that gives out..........like your face in a cold rain maybe......still some protection over the high velocity side could make since ...I don't have sump filter problems so something in what I am doing is worth looking at......

Seems like if pressure was the problem the smaller filter on the field side of the pump would suffer..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: January 7, 2008, 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

i saw a sump extension on a german site, i think it was, anyway with the extension it would keep the filter down away from any oil thrown off the crank. the extension was first built to add oil and cooling capacity. if it helps prevent filter damage it may be worth studying. i always thought that more oil capacity would be a good thing. 18 wheeler engines last a long time, could it be partly be that they hold like 7 gallons of oil? i don't think that i need to hauk 7 gallons around but say 4 of 5 quarts wouldn't be any problem.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 7, 2008, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter question

I checked it out and you can't use a side stand with it and it sticks down pretty far.........

John
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1