650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?
    Forum Index -> Drive
XSAndy
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

Hi Guys
Just installed new clutch thrust bearings from Mike after a total rebuild of the crank, new seal, long pushrod, etc, etc.
On installing the clutch basket again I notice that the outer basket and the primary drive gear behind it have a bit of slop (movement) in them. The plates are held still independantly of the basket and gear but I can rock the dogs a little.
Is this normal??? I don't remember being able the get them to move so that the right side of the outer basket comes forward whilst the left goes back and vica versa. It's only a small amount of movement but may be critical for clutch operation. Any thoughts from someone who's got their right side cover off. Cheers
Shannon60

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

there are springs behind the outer basket that help with dampening check those for any that are broken i have had them come apart before and it makes a mess it wrecked the cases so bad they couldnt be split so if there are any broken i would just replace the basket
XSAndy
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

Thanks Shannon. Not sure which springs you are referring to. I have had the entire motor apart and aren't aware of any springs in that area apart from the obvious clutch springs? Can you give more details or a part number or reference to a parts diagram. I have the lot.
Shannon60

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

this is the only part number i could find 17888-001 it was on bike bandit they are on the backside of the outer clutch basket and they run radially most dirt bikes use round rubber pucks i would be very surprised if your xs had those i dont believe they ever made them like that
XSAndy
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

I got ya. No those are fine. Trouble is with the basket in relation to the shaft. Have pulled the plates out and now humming and haaing about undoing the lock tab to check the number of washers prsent etc. Have no bits left over so I'm stumped. The shaft itself doesn't move much but basket on shaft does.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

I am not an expert at this but I do recall reading that if you have an older bike and you replace the clutch plate you need to add an extra plate to compensate for the thickness of the older plates vs the newer plates? could that be it?
Photo Gallery
XSAndy
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 28, 2007, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch basket and Primary driven gear Slop?

Thanks but Nah. The plates have been stacked and measured with micrometer. Adding and extra one would make it too big and they all fit snuggly without slop or movement. I have fitted new mikes kevlar? plates.
I think there may be a little wear in the bronze boss with the helical cut in it. Have checked all teh washers and bearing orders against other people and the service manual (Not Haynes manual). We all know that the Haynes manual is missing a washer.
Looks like the level of movement may not be excessive but i'd love to sit it next to another just to see. Must be another of those paranoia things that you get when you pull and engine down and then rebuild. Embarassed
Exclamation FYI the head dome nuts from Mike's seem to be varying sizes. We had to play musical nuts to find out which ones wouldn't bottom out when torquing down the head.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1