650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Whats in your toolbag?

Whats in your toolbag?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
XduncanX

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Whats in your toolbag?

I hope everyone had an excellent christmas, and that santa brought plenty of xs goodies to put under your tree.

I've been busy putting the new exhaust and shocks I got on my bike and a thought occured to me. Road trip. So, I need to make myself a toolbag. What does everyone keep in theirs? Sockets or box wrenches? What sizes? Screwdrivers? Which kinds? Allen keys? Am I missing something?

HAppy Holidays!
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

Duncan....I can tell you what's never in a tool kit........what you need.......

John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

john it's not what you need it's the right size for the job. If all screws were the same all men would be equal.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

Kyle......All women were definately not created equal.......

John
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

all you need in a tool kit is a cell phone and a few good friends with trailers or pickups
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

Would have to be careful what numbers are stored in the memory.........like you have to careful what you are reading in bed.....if you kick the bucket many might know more about you than you would like.........

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

Well, my personal toolbox consists of a screwdriver. Flathead to be precise.

If I was going long distance (please, NO!) then I would pack a sockets and wrenches: 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, medium-large crescent wrench, brainbox if electronic ignition, spare points if points ignition, spare coil, quart of oil, couple of screwdrivers, cellphone.

If I keep going, your bike will be towing a trailer before you have everything you need.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

ttmaniac.......might want to carry some extra gas too.............

John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

no ttmaniac not a trailer you need a sidecar. one of those box rigs you can have a travelling work shop. put in a few yellow top optimum batteries for power and you could setup a small welding kit put a winch on the front you could easily fit a few drawers of tools and an air comprssor with all the accompany you would also at that point carry a spare on the rim

and a partridge in a pear tree
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

That did it.....I'm selling my bike and buying a Mac or Snap On tool truck .......

John
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

Guess somebody besides tt has to to treat your question seriously, Duncan. If I'm just running around locally the tool kit's fairly light--set of 1/4" drive metric sockets plus a 1/4" SAE socket with extensions, drive handle, and ratchet; open/box combo wrenches in 10, 12, 13, 14, 17; 1/4" screwdriver and allen (4, 5, and 6 mm) bits, with screwdriver handle to fit; small vise grips; needle nose and plain pliers; plug wrench and spare plugs. On road trips match-melt solder strips, large wrenches for oil changes and wheel removal, a quart of oil, a can of chain lube, spare tail light bulb, 20A fuse, cotter pins and Boyer igniter box, a bit of wire, a few pull ties and some common fasteners get added. My non-CV carbs are touchy about altitude, so if I'm headed for the mountains a few pairs of smaller main jets get packed. I don't bother with tire irons--couldn't remove my stiff-carcass Pirelli's with short road kit irons anyway.

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

John, I've definately noticed the trend this past week. Never seemed to have the right tool after going through three toolboxes and my buddies entire tool truck. After all that I ended up making a pipe wrench out of a belt. Thanks for all the replies.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

Duncan.....So even my took truck idea is defunk.......had my suspicions...

John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 31, 2007, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

DUNCAN IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CARRY TYRE IRONS YOU CAN GET A SET OF TITANUM ONES FROM THE AEROSTITCH CATALOGUE. I KNOW THEY ARE A BIT PRICEY BUT WORTH IT.
THEY APPEAR TO HAVE SOME COOL STUFF. I ACTUALLY CARRY THERE MILITARY SELF STICK RUBBER TAPE. WORKS FOR ANYTHING IN ANY WEATHER I WOULD RIDE IN. LOTS OF CCOL STUFF FOR YOUR TOOL BAG I ALSO GRABBED AN OUTBACK WRENCH
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 31, 2007, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

Wouldn't a stock tool bag/kit get you by?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 31, 2007, 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

you could change a sparkplug or a head light, tail light, other than that those cheesey wrenches and screwdrivers got used as fishing weights (sinkers)
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

jayel wrote:
you could change a sparkplug or a head light, tail light, other than that those cheesey wrenches and screwdrivers got used as fishing weights (sinkers)
Cheesy yes and I wouldn't use them at home but on the road in a pinch?
Can you tell I've never used them.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

well actually my bikes are so well maintained (pats self on back, knocks on wood) I don't have that problem if I break on the road it's major, that little tool kit is'nt going to cut it, I'll take my cell phone,
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

I'd like to chalk it up to good mantainance, but I'll call it luck.
ine just doesn't give me that much grief (knocks on wooden head).
Your right if I do (break down) it's going to be something that will render it trailer material. Can I borrow your cell.
By the by what is considered a long run? A walk to my mailbox just about kills me. Seems like everything in MO is uphill from where I am.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

seven miles up hill both ways here in Iowa, 10 to 20m short run, 50m good run, over 100 long run, after that it's a bike ride, but I'm not scared I've pulled enough maintanece on this old bike it's not going to suprise me except flat tire or rotor failure
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

I always thought of Iowa as flat. Always envied your dirt.
You couldn't fill a 5 gal bucket with the top soil on these rocks.
Just to go to "town" and back is a good run. Just to get gas is a short run.
Normally go west and/or south but this year I think I'll come see your countryside (when it gets warmer).
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

yeah Iowa is rolling hills some flat land but nothing to steep either and yes we do have the largest area of good farm land in the world
midnrider

PostPosted: February 13, 2008, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

jayel, man, you got some expensive fishing weights...ya seen how much the orginial tool kits go for on ebay! lol
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: February 14, 2008, 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Whats in your toolbag?

I have a 45 pc tool kit by Husky I bought at Home Depot I carry. $15 Small with ratchet screwdriver and bits. Adjustable wrench. Ratchet that has a 3/8 drive on one side of the head and 1/4 on the opposite side.About 10 SAE and 10 metric sockets. About the size of a small book in a hard plastic case. Fuses, electrical tape, small maglight..I carry this in a small bag in a cargo net on the back part of the seat and swap it to whichever bike I am riding.Thinking about adding a very small multimeter...the list grows

I have used the actual tool kit on my KZ one time when a mirror came loose on the road and I had forgotten to pack my toolbag.

toolkit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.48 KB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)

toolkit.jpg

My Bikes

Last edited by pumps on February 25, 2008, 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2