650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Lift & chock suggestions?

Lift & chock suggestions?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
DaveB

PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 12:45 am    Post subject: Lift & chock suggestions?

Any particular favorites out there for getting your bike in the air? I'm wondering if some of these cheaper 1500lbs lifts are stable enough to do actual work when you have the wheels off the ground...
5twins

PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

I finally broke down and bought one of those cheap table lifts. Mine was only about $250 on sale at Harbor Freight. I've seen them as cheap as $199 at Pep Boys with a rebate but I don't care as much for their version. This is a far cry from the $600-$800 these "cheap" table lifts used to cost. For my situation, I can justify the cost because I have several bikes. Three of them in quick succession made their way onto the table this past summer and it was just a joy to work on them that way.

www.harborfreight.com/...mber=91764
DaveB

PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

that does look pretty convenient, at least for everything except front end work... Probably a bit overkill for what I need/do tho, and would take up a good amount of space in my very small garage.
5twins

PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

As I said, for me, it was justified. I also have a separate shed/work shop in the back yard where it resides. For front end work, I just use the centerstand and prop the front wheel up off the ground using one of my home-made jackstands under the front of the motor. A hydraulic bottle jack literally "let me down" after sitting over night so I whipped up these screw adjuster types .....

jackstands.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.23 KB
 Viewed:  83 Time(s)

jackstands.jpg

ttmaniac

PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

If I had a place to put one, I'd have it. My shop ain't got the space.

Those things are so nice. On my 3-12 hour day bike building streak my back got so sore I could barely stand up after being crouched low for so long. Something like that is pretty sweet.
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

Pep Boys every month or so puts on their 1500lb motorcycle jack on sale after rebate for something like $50. I bought one years ago which has lifted everything from a Honda 750/4 to an Harley Sportster. Worth the $ but not always so great for oil change on some bikes as it often covers oil pan plug. When rebuilding my XS motor I used some good tie down straps to hold the engine onto the jack and lifted it up to chair sitting height. This jack is similar to theirs. Other places, like Sears & Harbor Freight have same or similar for a few more$

greg

jack.jpg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.62 KB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)

jack.jpg.jpg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
5twins

PostPosted: December 18, 2007, 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

Basically, they're all made in China and all pretty much the same. Find the best deal or sale you can.
sparklow

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

Got mine for $50 bucks at "Tractor Supply". Works fine, I use it for the XS and my Triumph. I don't use it for oil changes but it works well for everything else. Long bungee cords secure the bike to the lift securely enough for you to work at a comfortable sitting position.
Photo Gallery
sparklow

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift & chock suggestions?

Got mine for $50 bucks at "Tractor Supply". Works fine, I use it for the XS and my Triumph. I don't use it for oil changes but it works well for everything else. Long bungee cords secure the bike to the lift securely enough for you to work at a comfortable sitting position.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1