650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Stock Parts > > Crankshaft and rods

Crankshaft and rods
    Forum Index -> Stock Parts
ado63

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft and rods

Anybody have a crankshaft with good rods for sale? Pulled the pistons off mine yesterday and the small ends are burnt pretty bad,I think they are beyond help. There are a bunch on ebay right now,but who knows what kind of shape those are in.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

See Roy Fisk.....got mine there and it was perfect..........please don't ask him about VM36 carbs though.....that will get him started all over again.......

John
Photo Gallery
ado63

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

I've seen those arguments!! I am sure he will be along shortly. I may need to talk to you about my carbs in a few months time. Building a bobber with open pod air filters and somewhat open exhaust.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

ado spec out the koles, alot of the small ends get a burnt coloration to them but spec out perfectly. If you still think you need a crank pm me I'll set you up. As long as your not pushing 34mm carbs.
ado63

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

All right,I will go and do that. The pins themselves have just over a thou of wear in the middle. Thats alot.
ado63

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

The good end of the pin mics at .783 and the rod as close as I can get is .7855.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

I dont have my book right here but .0025 seems tight enough . Does your service manual give tollarances? Ill check something out.
ado63

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

My Clymer doesnt have that spec. It gives side clearance for the big end,but nothing for the small end.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

Yea I dont have my manual but e-mailed john to see if he has specs. I will check the parts fisch too.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 3, 2007, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

Wow I just looked at 2000 retail and dlr costs for a crankshaft retail was 1417.34 dlr was 949.62 hmm guuess I cant get 50% of retail on that item. ado after we get specs and you want a crank its going to cost you a set of redwing hammerhead shocks from omhars 14.25 length. I think there $149.00 and are listed under dirt track vintage race shocks. plus all shipping and handleing.
ado63

PostPosted: December 4, 2007, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

I found the specs!!! Small end ID should be .788-.789-and mine is at the upper limit of that measurement. I brought a snap gage home from work. It allows .0006 out of round and mine is at .0004. New pistons and pins should run just fine. Thank you for everything,and if something happens unforseen,I will contact you. Arnie.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 4, 2007, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

Great...wrote that in my book......better than any noticable play with some oil on it....that's written in mine........over-reveving I bet won't help that get better.....half a thousands....that ain't much.............

Lots of people will disagree with me but I think 5500 rpm is pushing it on these things if you want them to last.......

Did you see 650centrals way of adding oil to the small end........WRIST PIN OILING MODIFICATION under engine........might be worth looking at.....

John

Last edited by xsjohn on December 4, 2007, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
ado63

PostPosted: December 4, 2007, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

Yeah,I'm going to check that out. Thanks for your help. Arnie.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 5, 2007, 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft and rods

great ado glad to help.

Forum Index -> Stock Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1