650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > how hard is a hardtail

how hard is a hardtail
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
stomp

PostPosted: October 14, 2005, 2:05 pm    Post subject: how hard is a hardtail

Hi guys this might sound a bit soft but i am about to start a chop/bobber on myxs but the thing is a hardtail frame has come up and i would like to know what they are like to ride i have never been on one . i was goin to extend the swing arm and keep it a softail i will at sometimes have a pillion . iam in the uk and the roads are maintained by barny rubble (pot hole} any advise you guys can thow on this the better thanks in advance stomper
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: October 14, 2005, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

When I had one in Florida with decent roads it wasn't bad, now the roads here in Missouri are not fun at all. You feel on your butt and back whatever your back wheel hits. Like a bicycle only it goes alot faster. I was originally going to build a hardtail, Can't beat the looks / Simplicity, But I'm stcking with the swingarm. Going to stretch it to lentghen the bike and lower the clearence. I also started riding to work much more often, 100+ a day, So I'm going to sacrafice a little "Cool" for more "Comfort" Damn I'm getting to be a wuss in my old age!!!
Photo Gallery
stomp

PostPosted: October 14, 2005, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

thanks admin thats good to hear my old bones the same just today i was makin a mock up of the s/arm with a 5" stretch it make the bike look low but not sure if i need to rake the neck any how keep you posted thanks stomp ps pics of mock up if they are of help to anyone
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: October 14, 2005, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

A couple of hints to make a hardtail more comfortable. Use a sprung seat, the taller the springs the better. Run a 5.10" or 130/90x16" rear wheel and run the tire pressure low, down in the mid to low 20s psi range. You don't have to worry about the tire heating up, you won't want to ride very fast anyway. Stick to smooth pavement.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
Bsrider

PostPosted: October 18, 2005, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

Good luck on your hardtail. I have been riding one for the past five years and I prefer it over my other three bikes.I just completed a trip from One hour north of Portland Oregon to Las Vegas . 20 hours to Vegas and 26 hours on the return . I took the scenic route on the way back , up through Reno and Susanville California. It was two day's riding both way's.
I have ridden several hardtails and most were very tiring and uncomfortable , I think the key would be to set it up to fit you. Mine fits me like a glove. Leg position , Handle bar position and seat.
My bike has forward controls , Handle bars set at shoulder height and a king and queen seat. The rear tire is 140/90/16 . I run it at 30 psi.
I changed the drive sprockets to one up on the front and two down on the rear. I cruise at 70 mph with no problems and my hands do not go numb after 30 minutes. The secondary roads I prefer to ride on here are not the best but the ride is great.
Enjoy the ride and good luck on your project.
Photo Gallery
stomp

PostPosted: October 18, 2005, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

ok guys thanks for you help most appreciated i think i will go ahead and take all you suggestions on board will post a few pixs as i go along thanks stomper
Photo Gallery
achillesinvention

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

This is a good thread. I love the look of the hardtail, but the softail just makes the ride better.

As far as having a sprung seat, I go definitely do that on a hardtail, but sometimes my lady rides in the back - how do I make a seat for her that's comfortable? If I put a seat on the fender, she won't have any cushioning.

Good thread - I'm always lookin' for ideas.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

Why not make up a piece of rod stock with eyelets to replace the shocks and go for a ride. A reversible rigid frame.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Darkdruid

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

I loved my hardtail XS, but found it too uncomfortable to ride any distance. Always intended changing it to forward controls but sold it before I got around to it.

Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

see below..for some reason my reply was duplicated..edited this one out Rolling Eyes

Last edited by xs1961 on May 27, 2007, 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

Stomp, go for a sprung saddle it'll be the best 30 quid you can spend if youve got a hardtail over here in England
I dont think our friends over in the US of A realize just how bad 95% of our roads are. Crying or Very sad
Ive ridden several chops over the years and I can tell you for sure that you will lose your kidneys through your arse...if you have a bird or wife she will leave you rather than ever sit on your bike again unless you supply her with a four-sprung pillion pad ! Twisted Evil

After saying all that I should add that a nice hardtailed XS-'specially in the old pre- war/ post -war Britbike style- is a stunning looking beast

Last edited by xs1961 on May 27, 2007, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
grant

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

Got to agree with '61. There is no frame looks as good as a hardtail. The suggestions here are right on also. Set up, sprung seat, tire pressure, will all ease the jolt of a hardtail but only to a certain extent, depending on your age and the condition of your spine. There is no way at 48 after back surgery I'm gettin' on one but DAMN, they do look cool! Good luck, Stomp
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

No spring on the Ass is a bad design for sure....Ask any Proctoligist or Chrioptactor.....Riding the paded porceain bus is not covered under social security benifits......Unless Hillary is elected........

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

Spring or no spring...the thing is gonna jump big bumps. Somewhat unnerving at highway speed through a turn. Get used to it. Maintain focus and it will never be a big deal. Personally I like hardtails. They hook up the fastest. No big bucks on overpriced shocks. Nice n low n comfortable. Until the big pothole anyway.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

to get a idea of what a hard tail feels like lock your knees and fall straight back into a sitting position without catching yourself with your arms, now do this a few hundred times to decide if you like it or not, lol, seen to many old chop riders with bad backs to care for that, I rode a 49 panhead once and a set of RR tracks showed up when I wasn't expecting them, even with the spring seat that old hog smacked me in the a** so hard the only rigid frame I would care to ride would be a flat tracker or a ice racer, No bumps
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

Just rode a mates 750 Honda chop today,to refresh my memory ,first hardtail ride in about 10-15 years...strewth, my arse & lower back cant take it anymore..it was EVIL... ran over a 2" pothole and l was thrown outa the 'seat'..

for gods sake if you value your spine/kidneys/bollocks etc. Use a sprung seat!

I'm still going to build myself another though....they look sooooo good Wink
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

WHAT...............................After That..............

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

Hardtails rock....If you use mid mount controls you can stand when you see the pothole coming....the guys with forward controls don't stand a chance. You can use little bicycle shocks for your seat...gives you some feedback from the road without spine crunching quite so bad.
Photo Gallery
CornbreadRed
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

I've seen a lot of cracked frames over the years. That, and a lot of crusty old bikers with back and kidney problems from riding Ridgids.

Get a reputable metal fabricator/frame builder if you're gonns do it.

Once, I was riding a Triumph ridgid down the freeway and both Amals came out of the intakes at 70mph.. That thing was a shaker, indeed.

Chip

PostPosted: July 5, 2007, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is a hardtail

I always thought it would be cool to use an old late 70s Yamaha DT or IT frame and swingarm to build a soft tail with that A-frame swingarm you get the looks of a hardtail and probably 8 inches of suspension travel. It would probably have to be a solo seat only build though.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1