650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New bike from an Old uncle

New bike from an Old uncle
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
murph

PostPosted: November 7, 2007, 9:41 pm    Post subject: New bike from an Old uncle

Hi all! I just go my second 650. I had an 83 xs650sk, sold it. Shouldn't have. but oh well. And now I just picked up an 81 sx650h from my uncle/airplane mechanic. It has only 7k miles!! The bike has been sitting in his garage for the last ten years... he didn't drain the gas. So, I have been cleaning crystalized gas from everywhere and replacing only what is destroyed. I'm having problems getting the right side to run?? oddly enough a few days ago it was the LEFT side not running?? Well, so far only the air filters need replacement, unfortunately mikes is out of the OEM filters at the moment. I'm going to check with 650central.com
Oh, and my dad has an 80 xs650sg... that he bought new and he brags that it still runs like he just got it Cool

Anyway, I have been reading a lot of threads and decided to join. looks like a great place!
Photo Gallery
northernplains
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 7, 2007, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New bike from an Old uncle

Good luck finding the OEM air filters without contacting a dealer. I waited awhile hoping it would be restocked but it never happened. I had to order a pair from Hitching Post which ordered from Yamaha. Its tough finding it elsewhere. Here's a site that has a reasonable price:

www.highlandsyamaha.co...fault.aspx

Its under Intake.
xsleo

PostPosted: November 8, 2007, 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: New bike from an Old uncle

if you just have to have stock go for it. i got a pair of the oval k&n filters cheaper than a pair of the stock filters.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: November 8, 2007, 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: New bike from an Old uncle

by the way, welcome aboard. my 75 was doing the same thing. one side then the other would run. combo of carbs and ignition. i replaced the points and coils. cleaned the carbs several times. runs ok now, if i can jst get it to stop smoking i'd be great, probably needs rings.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
murph

PostPosted: November 8, 2007, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New bike from an Old uncle

Thanks northernplains for the link. I'm going to pick those up.
I took the carbs apart again last night and found bits of rust... probably(definitely) from the tank. So I'm going to try the electrolysis procedure to clean that rusty tank out. I'll post in Fuel with some picks as it goes... I'm thinking 10amps should do it.

1983 xs650sk:sold
1979 xs650f:parts
-1979 xs400
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2007, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New bike from an Old uncle

don't forget to replace the fuel lines as well, they will flake off bits also
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 9, 2007, 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: New bike from an Old uncle

murph; Electrolysis will do a great job for you. I found that 1 Amp of current flow worked for me.
Do a Search under..............."Clean out that Rusty Tank"........it gives the details of how I cleaned the tank on my 78 SE.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1