650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Bikes just want to be built

Bikes just want to be built
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
kismetologist

PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 10:11 am    Post subject: Bikes just want to be built

God help me. I was planning a spruce-up of my '73 TX650 this winter. Nothing too major ... replace exhaust valve guides and seals, tweak carbs, etc.
Got into trouble when I started trying to track down some long-lost stock parts that I once considered optional:
Found one parts lot for a good price. As in, a "lot" of stuff I don't need at the moment to get what I do need. But most of the extras (tank, carbs, side covers, signals, restored seat headlight bucket and more) would go with a nearly complete '71 XS1B motor that I have on a shelf.
Next, I came across a neglected XS1B frame/motor/wheels etc., practically in my back yard. The guy only wanted $100 for that AND a virtually complete '67 Yamaha YM2 305 two-stroke basket case, so how could I pass it up?
So I started out with one moderate project (which I still need to buy the new parts for) ... I ended up spending about $500 and now have three projects! Still just one garage and one wife (for now Rolling Eyes ).
y question is this: Do I have a say in this, or is it all up to the bikes? Confused
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bikes just want to be built

I THINK YOU HAVE TO GO WITH THE FLOW.
and work on what moves you. If you find that the xs is not moving you and you want to release it to the world I would be interested in the from drum wheel.
Good luck and ask questions.

Kyle
Photo Gallery
kismetologist

PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bikes just want to be built

Going with the flow is the way to go, as long as it doesn't keep me from getting in the wind.
I'm too "in the mood" right now to consider letting stuff go, but that may change after I start cleaning filthy parts. For what it's worth, the wheels are in bad shape; new spokes and chroming would have to be in their future. From what I've seen, ebay may offer better and cheaper if you wait for it.
Speaking of having parts chromed, what kind of price range does that run into for something like a wheel? Tens of $$s? Hundreds? Never had occasion. (Still pretty far away from a high priority)

Chirs
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bikes just want to be built

I have avoided chroming myself. I went down to have my ebay sepcial fenders rechromed and $225 later I figured I was better off bead blasting and painting. could be a way to go for you as well. buchannans out in califirnia sells stainless spoke kits and rims if you need cheeper than getting them rechromed I should think.
I know mikes xs has spoke kits as well I think they are chrome moly

good luck and ask questions

Kyle
Photo Gallery
kismetologist

PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bikes just want to be built

Thanks
Chris
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1