650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > kick start

kick start
    Forum Index -> Engine
chazz

PostPosted: October 7, 2007, 11:51 am    Post subject: kick start

kicking my xs2 over this morning it was kicking real well,then enginge kicked back,then i cant kick the bike as when you try the kick is stiff and doesnt return,i can start it off the button,any ideas cheers
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: October 7, 2007, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start

Sounds like you might have broken the return spring or maybe it just came loose from it's retained position. In either case, you probably need to pull that right side cover and inspect things.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 7, 2007, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start

yeah, this happened to me once on an XT 500.

The shaft return spring can break, or you can twist of damage the kicker shaft...

Its gotta come apart, it woudnt ride it incase there is a broken bit of metal in there., it will rip the clutch basket to crap along with the gears and everything!

Tear off that cover, doesnt sound to expensive though, so long as you dont run it!
Photo Gallery
chazz

PostPosted: October 15, 2007, 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: kick start

checked behind the cover,the return spring is fine,but i couldnt see anything else apart from the little stopper spring had snapped,cant understand it,it feels like something is jamming making the kick very stiff,yet as i said ,starts first time off the button,and as ive only just rebuilt the top end im reluctant to strip it again Crying or Very sad
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 16, 2007, 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: kick start

Its more of a complex mecanism than you think.

You dont have to tear down the stop end, just remove the kick start mech and renew the spring and put it back.

The spring being broken with stop the mech from returning.
AKE SURE that the stopper is on the right side..

check out diagrams carefully and make sure you have found all the broken pieces.
Photo Gallery
chazz

PostPosted: October 16, 2007, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start

Jake68 wrote:
Its more of a complex mecanism than you think.

oh really

You dont have to tear down the stop end, just remove the kick start mech and renew the spring and put it back.

havent stripped the motor just built the top end

The spring being broken with stop the mech from returning.
AKE SURE that the stopper is on the right side..

didnt know that thanks

check out diagrams carefully and make sure you have found all the broken pieces.

note to meself must buy a manual

cheers for the utter crap youve just told me
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 16, 2007, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start

eerrr....excuse me?

Theres nothing crap that I've just told you.

The spring being broken will stop the mech from returning.
A broken bit of spring in the primary will f*ck it up faster than you can blink.

As for being a more complex mechanism that you think. that isnt supposed to make you sound stupid, its supposed to make you look closer at it, why?

Because its the most commonly wrongly assembled part on bikes like this, and that spring makes it work. Dont beleive me? Read Classic Bike a couple of months back? One of the most widely respected restorers in the UK incorrectly assembled a kick start on a KH that is virtually idental to the one on an XS. He really knows what he's doing and he got it wrong.
Imagine you got a bit of broken spring still in the worm drive on that kickstart? Would it make it stiff?

Still think Im talking crap?
Photo Gallery
northernplains
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 16, 2007, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: kick start

Wow.......first time I've read someone being a dick on here. Thumbs down to Chazz. I'm sure people will be very eager to help you in the future.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1