650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Parts available at local auto store?

Parts available at local auto store?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
billym

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Parts available at local auto store?

I was given a '73 TX650 chopper and the only thing that seems to be wrong so far is the electrical system (getting fire at the points but not at the plugs). In a attempt to start from scratch I have removed pretty much everything from the bike that is not associated with just getting fire to the plugs. I have cross referenced the NGK plugs and will be picking up the champion equiv's at my local autozone. Was wondering if anyone knows if I can find a compatible set of plug wires there as well to keep me from having to order them online?
Jack

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts available at local auto store?

I 've used and still do,use good quality automotive plugs wires. The best kind are the wire spiral wound,they offer less resistance per inches to the plug with more bunch. Ask for a set for a Volvo 240 DL series,just to glance at, cuz they're constructed on sprial wire core and they might work for ya...............Jack
Phred

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts available at local auto store?

I would also recomend automotive wires, there is a great variety, you have maximum choice in wire construction (i.e. resistor, spiral, solid, etc),color, you can get either custom lengths or "build-your-own" sets.

If you have spark at the points and both cylinders do not have spark, the first thing I would check is the wiring from the points to the coils. In the stock harness this is a single wire that "splits" at the coil to feed them both, and is the only part of the circuit that both sides have in common past the points. This wire breaking or shorting to ground is more likely than both coils or plug wires failing.

When I got my bike (badly neglected and badly vandalized), I found the OEM harness to be in bad shape, and I have never been a fan of the "bullet" connectors that Yamaha is so fond of-I think they get loose and unplug too easy. If you have a chopper with somewhat minimal wiring I suggest that you make your own harness from scratch. This is not too tough to do if you run one circuit at a time (get it working before starting the next). Here is a simple schematic, and if you aren't runnig turn signals you can cut quite a bit out of it still.

xs650 chopper wiring.jpg
 Description:
Simplified XS650 Schematic
 Filesize:  57.1 KB
 Viewed:  532 Time(s)

xs650 chopper wiring.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1