650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
Kablazzie

PostPosted: September 18, 2007, 11:49 pm    Post subject: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Well, been slacking on this not very long awaited thread of pics from my engine build.
This is my first engine build, my first motorcycle, and I think it went damn well. Got the bike in boxes and as of last night, it runs.
There is still a TON to be done (pun intended) before it's all said and done, but I go the one major thing about the bike finished, the motor.
I'm gonna breeze through this cause it's late and I'm exhausted.

Let's begin.

Wait, gotta grab another beer.

OK.

The day I got her home.

Her guts.

Fist thing's first, smooth out those rough ports.

Lapping valve seats.

Exhaust port.

Sandblasted the cylinders.

Sanded down the uneven casting of the cases.

Painted the cylinders with high temp header paint, then baked to cure.

Polished some bits while I was waiting for the cylinders to finish baking.

One carb rebuilt. Afterwards I swapped out all the hardware with allen screws.

Replacing a chipped rocker arm. Used a bolt and different lengths of sockets and crap to make a puller to get the pivot pin out.

Tearing down, cleaning, lubing and assembling the tranny.

The crank of doom.

Brother Darrel.

Pigs in a blanket.

Threebond.

Other brother Darrel.

Brother's reunited.

To whomever used the plier type compressors and the the wooden blocks and stuff..... Yamaha>you.

Wrist pin.

Best stuff ever. I use it on gas turbine engines. Ferrari uses it to seal their cases. Safe bet it works here. Google it.

Back to the whole piston compressor thing. Insert the piston into the cylinder just deep enough to hold it but expose the wrist pin clips. Have the inner clips already installed, line up the rods, insert the pins, and install the outer pin clips.

TDC.

HEAD.

Feeding the cam chain.

No bearings on the cam, install and route chain.

Slide bearings on with a little persuasion.

Timing marks.

A little anti-sieze to help get that damn rotor off next time.

ore of the good stuff.

Put a lid on it.

How cute.

Club seals, o-rings and gaskets. Just kidding. Don't club seals.

Advancement achievements.

Clutch is one of my favorite bands.

While you were waiting for these photos to load, I went and got my side covers powdercoated flat black.

Overpriced filter appendage. Bah, whatever.

I'm getting pumped, aren't you!!!??????

This one is not blown out.

Behind.

Now it's starting to look proper.

y feelings about electric boots...

Here she is.

Well, she's running, now I'm playing with electricity. And I hate it.

And she runs strong, too.

I gotta get to bed.
I'll keep adding more when I get time.

Take care all, and cheers.

-Nathan
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Thats a fantastic job your doing, real craftmanship. Agree with using the Hylomar. I rebuilt the top end on an Yamaha XS500C back in the 80's and I used the blue Hylomar.......no leakage. As I remember the Hylomar at that time was manufactured by Rolls Royse in England . It was recommended to me by the mechanics at the power plant where I worked.
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Nice looking motor. How much you have in it? If I still have mine, may be a winter project. How long did it take you?
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

keep the updates coming!!!!
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

You have just made me really insecure Sad

Damn fine job you have done there, I appreciate all the photo's and the fact that you just raised the bar on a garage build. I guess I will have to learn to be a bit more anal and patient.

Is that a cafe or bobber project?

Keep up the good work,
Billy
LouC

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Nice work!! Thanks for sharing the pics...will be handy ref for many, I'm sure!
Handtool

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Nice bike. Looks prime for a trip down the transnational speedway...
Kablazzie

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Thanks for the comments.
The bike is my cafe project. Started out as a street tracker years ago when my father owned it, but I always wanted a cafe racer.
I have way more time invested in the motor than money. Lots of labor hours cleaning, polishing, inspecting, prepping, and assembly. Most money was spent on new o-rings, seals and gaskets. I restored everything that could still be serviceable. Just trying to make it the best I can on a budget.
For lack of a better word, I'm a turd polisher.
The entire engine was assembled in a solid weekend, but getting to the assembly stage took the most time. Sourcing missing/worn/broken replacement parts. Keep in mind the engine was 90% dismantled when I got it and was that way for 7 years. But to tell you the truth I've had more trouble assembling legos with instructions versus this machine.
It just went together so well.
And the fact that it started on the second kick is a testament to Yamaha's engineering.

Handtool wrote:
Nice bike. Looks prime for a trip down the transnational speedway...

Twin cylinder... 1974... galaxy six five oh?

-Nathan
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

You take the dog I get the galaxy 650 I think the good reverend would like it.
Nice job.

cheers Kyle
Photo Gallery
Handtool

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Kablazzie wrote:
Twin cylinder... 1974... galaxy six five oh?

Whenever it feels right...
Kablazzie

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

She's alive:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7EN2jlHhEw

I'm troubleshooting the charging system. If I can't get that battery to charge this machine's about as useless as a unicorn without a horn.
But I will have great success!
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Sounds good. I assume you have already checked the rotor/stator/brushes/regulator/rectifier? It does look like you have a wiring nightmare right now. Get everything straight, and recheck. If you are planning on running signals and all, a new harness may not be a bad idea. Would make the wiring a much easier ordeal.
Photo Gallery
Kablazzie

PostPosted: September 22, 2007, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

I am more and more considering the harness. The connections on my harness are not the cleanest at all, the plastic connectors seem to be on their last leg, and I don't feel like having to chase every damn wire I try to connect that doesn't work.
I also don't have the time to rewire a new one.
Has anyone purchased a new one? How is it?

And my rectifier is pretty damn corroded. I think it's shot.
Regulator checks good, going outside in a min to start checking the rotor and stator.

Anyone have a good rectifier? I'd like to get a solid state...
Gmaan
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 23, 2007, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Nice work. very clean
1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple (MY BABY)
1975 Yamaha TX 650 (just need paint)
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 24, 2007, 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

BANG! - What mor can I say - Nice Job!
Photo Gallery
Kablazzie

PostPosted: September 24, 2007, 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Well, a little update.

I spent about an hour and a half on the phone last night with my pops.
Let it be known he is a genius when it comes to wiring and schematics, especially on motorcycles.
Over the phone he read the schematic and helped me track down EVERY wire on the bike and find it's home. Can't thank him enough.

While doing it I found my charging issue. The brown wire (ignition power to the regulator) was not connected. Hooked it up, turned on the key, checked for magnetism at the rotor with a feeler gauge and that sucker slapped the crank shaft like a contestant slaps the button on Jeopardy.
Fired her up the next day (it was way too late for no muffler starts) and after some adjusting on the regulator I got 14.5V with a very slight rev.

Awesome.

So today I got the bike "road worthy" with foot pegs, rear brake and a shifter. Put the chain on and got it all adjusted.
I was determined to ride my first motorcycle for the first time.
With about 10 min to spare before sunset (got a late start) I pushed her to the end of the driveway, kicked her over, put her in gear and the rest is history. Took it around the block to the park, put her on the center stand and watched the sunset. Best Sunday I've had in ages.

I should also add that this thing is a torque monster. Either that or it's my ass dyno, but I don't feel out of line saying that it pulls not much less than my dad's road star. Possibly the fact that I lapped the valves in tighter than a frogs ass and smoothing out/enlarging the areas of the ports that needed attention, but I was blown away by how smooth the power just comes on.

I can't explain the satisfaction of building a bike (to this point) and being able to actually enjoy all the hard work. I've ridden bikes before this, but nothing like the feeling I got tonight.

Ha, and when I pulled back into the driveway the neighbors came out clapping and cheering.

To say the least, I'm celebrating right now...

Cheers!

-Nathan
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2007, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

I dunno for sure, but one of those pics is showing a case of valve tip errosion I think...
Photo Gallery
ChopperDuke

PostPosted: October 30, 2007, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

I uh, I think I'm in love!

Do you do birthday parties?

In all seriousness, that is a nice build up you did and a nice lookin' motor. You did a bang up job! Your dad should be proud!

Look Like Men, Wrench Like monkeys
RIDE LIKE MOTHER F*&#ERS
wacko

PostPosted: October 30, 2007, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Congrats Man...Very Nice Job!!!
duluthmuffler

PostPosted: October 31, 2007, 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Wow Alright!!!! Way sweet...
Photo Gallery
psychobooe

PostPosted: November 1, 2007, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Well done sir. I wish I had the knowledge to tackle a job like that. I'm good with hand tools, but my knowledge is limited in terms of rebuilding engines and trannys.
Kablazzie

PostPosted: November 1, 2007, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

psychobooe wrote:
Well done sir. I wish I had the knowledge to tackle a job like that. I'm good with hand tools, but my knowledge is limited in terms of rebuilding engines and trannys.

Thanks, but keep in mind this was my first. It's a piece of cake.
Just jump right in, you'll be fine. This thing builds like Legos.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 1, 2007, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

I agree Kablazzie...I've built a number of engines from scratch including cars and bikes.
The XS650 Engine does have some peculiarities in its top end, but that about it.
Nothing that a forum wont get you out of.

Also, great pics btw..wondering what camera you use?
Photo Gallery
psychobooe

PostPosted: November 1, 2007, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine build, PIC Heavy!! (56K go adjust a clutch)

Kablazzie wrote:
Thanks, but keep in mind this was my first. It's a piece of cake.
Just jump right in, you'll be fine. This thing builds like Legos.

That's encouraging. I still play with Legos, and I'm 25. Laughing

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2