650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > swing arm extension

swing arm extension
    Forum Index -> Frames
hawaiianbobber

PostPosted: September 17, 2007, 5:15 pm    Post subject: swing arm extension

I would like to extend my rear swing arm 4". What is the best way to do this? I have a welder to make modifications.
cswanson

PostPosted: September 27, 2007, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

I'm also planning on doing the same thing. What I've gathered is you want to make sure that you end up with the same lenth on each side, otherwise, you'll have a rear alignment problem. I would suggest measuring in equal distances from the rear of the swing arm and adding there. I also toyed with the idea of finding a thicker walled pipe that would fit inside the stock swingarm pipe and just measuring a few inches in from each side and chopping most of the original swing arm out and sliding the newpipe inside the old to make up the majority of the swingarm length. I don't think it would look bad, and the thicker metal might help brace, unless you plan on bracing anyway. This is all theory though, so chop at your own risk.

PostPosted: October 1, 2007, 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

I'm toying with the same idea. I've heard that the extra leverage will have you bottoming out quicker, so you might have to beef up the shock springs. PS Black Widow Choppers out of I think Wisconsin offers a swingarm extending service.
Photo Gallery
oceanaxim

PostPosted: December 16, 2007, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

Ive been researching the same thing, and this is what Ive found...

-While you have the swingarm off, replace and upgrade the bushings/bearings. The stock ones are cheap and soft, and probably worn anyway.
-Bracing is reccomended. even stock swingarms are pretty flexible as well.

...without saying, its gotta be straight.

Ive seen a couple examples here on the site foto album. sorry I forget which bikes they were.
thorshammer

PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

You may want to get a second swing arm. For a 4" extension measure both swingarms to the middle, cut the first one 2" past the middle cut the second one 2" before the middle. Now take the long front pieces and the long back pieces and place them together with a piece of tubing turned to fit inside. The inside tubing length should be 3 times the diameter of the outside tube.all tube thickness should be the same, inside tube should extend past the joint equal distance both directions line up all parts straight true and square. TAKE A BRAKE, now go back and recheck EVERYTHING. Now weld with 2 rosett welds each side of seam and then tack then weld seam. Now you can finish off the swing arm by welding on a brace to stiffen the arm. See its easy seriously if you are not up to it get a proffesional to do it for you. IT'S YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE.
TXTracker

PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the advantage of extending the swing arm?
Or is it only for looks?
You could get a longer aluminum swing from a modern sportbike to fit..
Just have to weld on ears for the shocks..

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

Joe Wiseguy does an excellent job of reinforcing swing arms and also does an extended & braced version. He sells on ebay as well...
Check em out! Blue

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...0011955304

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

A lot is looks, slows downhandling but does usually give a softer ride with a little more wheel travel.
stomper11

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

hi have a look here it might give you some pointers cheers stomper www.bikers1.com/b1tech_swext.htm
Buzz

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

I started on my extended swing arm a few months ago. I'm using a Yamaha YZ 250 mono shock swing arm modified to accept dual shocks. here's some pics of my progress.
borjawil

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm extension

just wondering if it bolted right in besides the shock mounts.

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1