650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Light checker eliminated, now front brake light doesnt work

Light checker eliminated, now front brake light doesnt work
    Forum Index -> Electrical
79special

PostPosted: September 15, 2007, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Light checker eliminated, now front brake light doesnt work

There is a green/yellow and a brown wire coming from the front brake switch on my 79xs6502F and i know the brown one goes to the light checker which i did away with. Would this cause my front brake light not to work? The rear brake light works fine with no modification.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: September 15, 2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Light checker eliminated, now front brake light doesnt work

Brown wires are the power feeds to the actuating device like the light checker, brake light switches, horn etc.The only portion of the brown wire circuit that should be eliminated with the checker is the leg to the light checker itsself. The brown wire network is THE power supply to a wide variety of switches and lights. the green/yellow feeds the brake light via tying to yellow. The light checker does not "connect" to the brake light switches other than sharing power feed via brown. ala the turn signal flasher, the horn, the regulator You still need a live brown to the switch itsself which then powers the brake light when the green/yellow when actuated. Just as the rear brake light switch is fed by brown which powers yellow to the brake light.

Reconnect a live brown feed to the front brake light switch and you'll be all set.

PostPosted: September 15, 2007, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Light checker eliminated, now front brake light doesnt w

Let's try that again.....the brown wire network supplys power to a wide variety of devices, including the light checker and the brake light switches. When the light checker is eliminated (or the reserve lighting unit or the turn signal cancelling unit) you still need to have power supplied to the switches, (or other operating device like the safety relay, turn signal flasher etc.etc.) The green /yellow joins the yellow to then transmit power to brake light when either or both brake light switches are closed(actuated).

What will no longer work once you've eliminated the light checker and re-supplied power to the brake light switch is the tail/brake failure indicator light which was actuated by the light checker.
by brown also and a black/red I believe from the bygone light checker. ie. you need power in (brown) and a connection to(yellow/green - yellow) the brake light to operate your brake light regardless. ditto the headlight circuit, turn signals, headlight switch, etc. etc.

Hope that helps. Best of Luck, Blue

PostPosted: September 17, 2007, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Light checker eliminated, now front brake light doesnt work

Im confused by your explanation. when i elimanated the light checker and reserve lighting device i ran all the blue/blacks and blue/greens together and everything works fine except for the front brake. I cant really make out a solution from what you were saying. I did just have an hour 1/2 worth of dental work done which may explain half of why i didnt make sence of it though.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: September 17, 2007, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Light checker eliminated, now front brake light doesnt work

79special wrote:
There is a green/yellow and a brown wire coming from the front brake switch on my 79xs6502F and i know the brown one goes to the light checker which i did away with. Would this cause my front brake light not to work? The rear brake light works fine with no modification.
Point 1 The brown wire does not "go to the light checker". It is another leg off the brown wire network which delivers power to a variety of devices including both the light checker and the brake light switches front and rear.

If you've eliminated the brown wire in a fashion which also cuts power via a brown wire to the front brake light switch.....then yes it would cause failure to operate.

I suspect that you don't have power (brown wire) to the front brake switch (most likely) or the yellow/green which connects to yellow from the rear brake switch and thence as a yellow to the brake light itself is misconnected. (there are more than one yellow leads).

Remedy..... a live power supply (brown) leg to the front brake switch and a connection from that front switch via (yellow/green) to the (yellow) from the rear brake light switch and thence as the (yellow) to the rear brake/tail light. Either switch should then operate the brake light.

There are so many wires eliminated from service with the elimination of the Reserve Lighting Unit and the Light Checker that I found it necessary to trace each one not now needed out one by one. Just did so on both
my 78 SE and 79 2F0. BOL

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1