650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
dps-rider

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

I see that MikesXS and 650 Central both have kits / adapters to add a real oil filter to the XS. Anybody have any experience with these? It seems to me that the one from 650 Central probably has a bigger filter element (and more flow?), and the one from MikesXS has additional cooling. The one from 650 Central also requires some case modification.
Which one (if any) to get...
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Either one is a big improvement over the stock XS650 filter. I have the spin on style from 650 Central on mine and have been happy with it. The modification of the case wasn't too tough for me to do. The one that MikesXS is selling with the oil cooling feature looks like a quality item as well, Simpler installation and more cooling capacity to boot. I think if I did it again I would go that route. Just my personal opinion.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

The unit from Mike's has a few fins on a small, thick chunk of aluminum. The 650 Central unit (I use one) hangs a conventional filter with higher volume and better filtration farther out in the breeze; pretty obvious which one's going to help cooling more. As far as I'm concerned the only thing the Heiden unit from Mike's has going for it is looks. Bolt-on installation might be considered a plus for those who don't want to take off the clutch cover and drill a couple of holes.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Have the one from Mike's on mine. Don't know how well it works yet, but will let you know at it's first oil change. Does look really good though, with ease of install and extra cooling to boot.
Photo Gallery
dps-rider

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

How big is the filter element in the one from Mike's? Is it bigger than the stock filter?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Some good questions are.....

....does it have a bypass in case the filter plugs up.......changed at half decent intervals this is not a problem I wouldn't think.........

What is the micron filtering capacity........problem with this the smaller the micron the harder for the oil to pass through the filter......Wix filter engineer told me these generally create a 15% restriction factor at a reasonable 30 micron filtering rate.....15% is considering 30 weight oil........probably 20% with 20-50.........

When I figured the restrictor for my top end cooler I added another few thousands to the restrictor size because I used a spin on... was .125 now .128......

Personally I don't see or have had a problem with a better filter and I don't think it needs a high volume pump.......Have 10,000 on my 25 micron spin-on with no problems.......did check side clearance in the oil pump and set it a .002 thousands was .0035.........

I do warm things up a bit before I go blasting off and take it easy for a mile or so when the engine is cold especially in the winter........as a precaution.....oil still looks like crap at 1000 miles.......transmisson beats it up pretty bad and fuel contamination from air cooled richer mixtures doesn't help.....

John
Photo Gallery
dps-rider

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

John,

Did you use the kit from 650 Central? Does it have a bypass?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Molded my own....like 650 central......these filters have a bypass......if 10 lbs or so differential preasure occurs they will by pass like car filters do ....but don't know if the new one's you guys are looking at have a bypass....if not maybe just keep an eye on it....the oil goes through from the oitside to the inside and with that big hole it it it could be cleaned in gas every oil change easily.....shoot I clean mine by holding the drain back open and filling it with gas and flushing it out several times a year and replace it once a year.....and then again if it is changed like every other oil change or so not sure it is that important.....but who knows....one of those layers of the unknown.....but with no bypass and it does plug up...you will know it.....

Oh....that's another thing.....does it had a drain back...???...again only half the filter or so would drain back to the sump since it is on it's side...oil pump would have to refill each time on startup inclluding have to push the oil all the way to the topend.......Ranting again as usual......stock one's don't have a drainback and may account for some of the noise on hot startups .......ranting again as usual.......

John

Last edited by xsjohn on September 11, 2007, 6:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Photo Gallery
dps-rider

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

I had assumed that they would have a bypass. I won't put one on if it doesn't!

Is the bypass in the spin-on filter itself?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Yes spin on's have the bypass built inside them and a rubber flap drainback.......drainback is on the inside also and it covers the inside of the holes around the outside edge of the filter to keep the oil in the filter when turned off....would think the filter layed on it's side will drain down some through the center hole.....that's why filters are mounted upward......

John
Photo Gallery
dps-rider

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

INXS650,

Do you know if the filter has a bypass valve?
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Didn't see any kind of valve in it. In my opinion, why would you need a bypass valve? Only if you don't change your oil, and the filter gets really clogged up. Change your oil and filter regularly, and there should be no need. It is just a standard paper filter that comes with the kit.
Photo Gallery
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

I thought the $60 that Mikes charges for the filter adapter was a little high, but then I called Yamaha to see what they get for one of the stock screens: $22 and change. So, in three changes of the screen, I guess you could more than pay for the adapter, besides, it looks kool.

ikes only gets $8 for the stock screen, but he does not have them in stock. Nor does he have the sump filter, nor does he have rear brake pads. I would think that since these are maintainence items that are consumable, they would be available everywhere, but I guess not.

Wayne
Mikesxs

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Oil Filter element has built in bypass. Anyone thinking $59.00 is a lot for the Filter/cooler assembly (with filter element, bolts & gaskets) should check the price of raw materials these days. Billet aluminum does not come cheap. Most raw materials have doubled in the last year or are at record highs with no signs of dropping back. Items not in stock are all on the way now (ocean freight). MikesXS does not obtain anything locally, all parts are made to order for us in huge quantities. Parts factories do not really want to make parts for ancient bikes and just fit old parts orders in when they get time during production runs of parts for new bikes. Oem parts suppliers give total priority to new bike makers so often we just have to wait even though we usually have thousands of any one part on order. I usually takes anywhere from 4 months to 3 years to get a part even if I chase the factory weekly and go directly there. If I had not been buying from these places for 30 years the parts would never get done (I have been informed directly of this by numerous suppliers). Many new parts arriving now have been on order for years and I accept them as they arrive as I cannot cancel the item once ordered or that will be the last time I get parts.

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Mike......thanks for the info....figured you would get in there and straighten our blind leading the blind ...I would have bought one........

John
Photo Gallery
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

Mike, I was not intending to flame you in my previous post. You do an exceptional job of helping keep these bikes on the road. I have bought almost everything I have needed from you and will continue to do so. And, as I posted above, I think the price of the adapter is a bargain in the long run, and I will put one on my bike as soon as I can be sure the motor is mechanically sound.
I have never even heard my bike run yet. I bought it in a non-running condition after setting up for 6 years and I guess I was just a little frustrated that finding parts for a oil change has been so difficult.

Wayne
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

I just bought, got and installed the new oil filter-cooler package from MikesXS. Very nicely made, good looking, easy install and looks like it should be a nice performance upgrade and value. Most importantly I expect better filtration and additional cooling too. Nice instructions btw.
y guess is that MikesXS has another deserved hit!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

I just received the new Oil Cooler / Filter adapter from Mikes. First let me say it is REALLY made well. The stock Honda filter element does have a bypass built in - just like a car oil filter.

The only thing I questioned was the machined chunk of aluminum that goes in place of the stock filter. Is it self centering in the "moon" shaped recess - or should you make sure you favor it to the left side to allow ample oil flow? I was concerned that debris in the oil cold lodge between the aluminum insert and the case wall cutting down oil flow - Am I worried over nothing? Does this offer the same flow rate as the stock filter?

Once I mounted it up - the engine sounded fine. Drove it to work today - and it didn't seem to be making any extra noise - so everything must be flowing ok.

Felt the fins and they were hot - so the thing is dissapating heat.

Not bad for not drilling holes.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
dps-rider

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

I just got one too. When I put in the piece that replaces the stock filter, I used a little gasket cement on both sides of the gasket. I then stuck the inner piece in place where I wanted centered in the cavity, then put the filter and outer piece on. I figure once that's together a while the inner piece should stay put.

Agreed, the thing definitely dissipates some heat!

Another plus about the design, it is in an area with good air flow, and it doesn't block any air flow to the cooling fins on the engine.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

The lower end is not running to hot...and after the oil is pumped to the main galley it is warmed up again....the head may be 20-40 degrees to hot in the summer...even a head cooler that I designed will not control the cylinder temperatures....... the cylinders run way way way way too hot all the time after the engine is warmed up to operating temperatures....and no cooler will help this situation...hot right side is even worse.....the only way to control this is in the main needles.....if you don't believe me then run it for another 20,000 thou and get back to me.....hot cylinders trash all the neat clearances needed and cause these to become a can full of marbles...piston rock and just a mess....local boring and new pistons if they can do it right...then back to square one for a while....been and done that.......right cylinder becomes lean because of the extra heat and self destructs over the miles and the left is right behind it......if you don't control the cylinder temps it won't last.......above 250 is certain doom...just ask Detroit...they have pushed it to 195 degrees......for normal engine cylinder temperatures............

Just about the time you get the new chain guide on and thinking every thing is great all the above crap will make it's visit........unless you never ride it hard or for very long or live somewhere cool..........

Back to ranting again I can see........sorry

John
Photo Gallery
LouC

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

XSJohn...why does the right cylinder run hotter?? I'm stuck on the logic of that....
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

LouC......Some say it's the side that drives the clutch and others say it's the oiling....I don't buy either of them....What I have found is the head where the carb boot is mounted is 50 degrees hotter on the right side and it is preheating the gas more on that side reducing the cooling effect...something in the head im guessing...have measured mine and found this.....if that isn't it I have no earthly idea......but the right running hotter is real and fixable....hotter cylinder means leaner cylinder.....fixed mine twice cause of that in the past......no more........

Don't feel alone I'm stuck on the locic also.......just one of those things I guess......

John
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

I've been a lurker here for a while & this is my first post as I've also bought a Heiden system from Mike's. It is extremely well made, easy to install and ingenious... but I am concerned about how little space is between the filter and the cover. It appears much more restrictive than the stock system, making me wonder if it allows the same volume of oil to be pumped. If not then I worry that it may not cool as much as the stock setup. I've got a laser thermometer and have taken a bunch of readings of the Heiden at different times and with external ambient temps and was planning on changing back to the stock system and taking more readings. I'm in Houston where we can go weeks at 100 plus degrees so this is an impt issue for me. Anyone else with the Heiden filter want to step in here? And does anyone have any idea what a good running stock 650 should show for head operating temps? Man this is long but I also want to say that MikesXS rocks. For the engineering and billet alone he's charging way too little.
greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Filter Adapters

81XSChopper......Ah you have a thermometer.......next time if you would measure the cylinder temps right below the head on the side right on the top of the vertical fin strengthing strip....note both sides.....after it has run a good while like 60mph for 20 miles and see what you get...........and the ambient temperature........

Thanks John
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2