650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > 77 XS650D Project begins...

77 XS650D Project begins...
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
LouC

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 10:39 pm    Post subject: 77 XS650D Project begins...

Been looking in here now and then over the last year or so...have a soft spot for these old 650's...have owned 3 in the past...wanted to a project 650 to work on. Finally did it...kinda accidentally won an ebay auction..so now have this thing in the garage...need to clean out the tank and get the carbs cleaned out and working freely before firing up...the motor turns over by kick starter and feels like it's got compression. This thing has been sitting since 2004..and looks the part! Rolling Eyes First things first...clean out the tank. The hump down the middle looks pretty corroded..but I'm wondering if it has been previously lined..looks like maybe that earlier lining is coming off in places.

I'll be in here alot more often scouring the collective wisdom...

If I can manage this, I'll put a pic in here...the right side looks better cuz it has the side cover. Laughing

right side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.22 KB
 Viewed:  82 Time(s)

right side.jpg

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

I recently refurbished a 78 SE.
I used the "Electrolysis" method to clean the fuel tank...........worked really well. Very important to have a clean fuel system.
ake sure your carbs are super clean...........install inline filters from tank to carbs. Float bowl level needs to be correct.............recommend using a clear plastic tube connected to bowl drain plug.
Fuse panel is probably worn out..........best to replace with blade type fuses.
Check your electrical connections inside the headlight........also check connections to the coils/condensers.
Enjoy your bike............there lots of fun.

LouC

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

Retiredgentleman wrote:
I recently refurbished a 78 SE.
I used the "Electrolysis" method to clean the fuel tank...........worked really well. Very important to have a clean fuel system.
ake sure your carbs are super clean...........install inline filters from tank to carbs. Float bowl level needs to be correct.............recommend using a clear plastic tube connected to bowl drain plug.
Fuse panel is probably worn out..........best to replace with blade type fuses.
Check your electrical connections inside the headlight........also check connections to the coils/condensers.
Enjoy your bike............there lots of fun.

Thanks for the tips! Lookin' forward to working through all this stuff...one day it will hopefully run! Smile
LouC

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

Well...started tearing things down. Looks like the tank may have been previously lined...looks like it may be peeling off in some areas. The hump in the middle of the tank seems the worst for crud/corrosion/whatever...the rest of it looks pretty good with whatever kind of lining stuff is in there. I think I saw somewhere that using acetone may remove all that old stuff...I'll give that a try.

Pulled the very rusty chain off..had to remove the left side cover to get it off the sprocket .. the chain itself looks like it's in not bad shape except for abundant rust. Wonder if it can be cleaned up and used? The sprockets don't look very worn either.

The electrics on the left side have some corrosion and crud..will have to get some new brushes for that.

Pulled the air filters and air boxes off...looks like critters have been nesting in there!!

Carbs need some cleaning, obviously. The choke lever won't move. The plungers that pull up for choke don't want to pull up..look a bit rusty.

The battery had no liquid in it..and looked pretty crudded up inside. Guess I need a new one.

Ahhhh....the fun of it all!! Smile
LouC

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

Pulled the carbs off ... the choke lever doesn't move. Pulled the rod out and finally broke both of the start plungers loose...but when I put things back together, the choke lever still doesn't move. One or both of those things is binding probably due to corrosion. Looks like I'll have to split the carbs and see if I can tear things down all the way and do a good soak on the carbs.

Put some acetone in the tank to see if it will remove what looks to be a previous lining of some sort...didn't make much of a dent in it from what I could see. I'll try some other stuff on the tank and may have to just bite the bullet and see if I can find another one that's in better shape internally.

Really enjoying spending time with this thing..and in no rush at all! Got a Royal Star to ride when I need some therapy time! Smile
5twins

PostPosted: September 19, 2007, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

Don't soak the carb bodies in carb cleaner, just scrub and wipe them down - then rinse with WD40 or something mild to neutralize the carb cleaner. There are little rubber seals on both ends of the throttle butterfly shafts and carb cleaner will destroy them.
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

As to your chain issue, go with a new one, probably sprockets too. No need scrimping on something that can leave you and your bike stranded.
Photo Gallery
LouC

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

5twins wrote:
Don't soak the carb bodies in carb cleaner, just scrub and wipe them down - then rinse with WD40 or something mild to neutralize the carb cleaner. There are little rubber seals on both ends of the throttle butterfly shafts and carb cleaner will destroy them.

Thanks for that tip!
LouC

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

INXS650 wrote:
As to your chain issue, go with a new one, probably sprockets too. No need scrimping on something that can leave you and your bike stranded.

I think you are probably right...since it looks like this will take some time, I will probably just go ahead and do a thorough cleanup/refresh on the bike and do a new chain and sprockets as part of the process. Thanks!
5twins

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

You don't have to spend big bucks on a chain. The $20 J.C.Whitney ones work just fine. I'm on my 3rd season on one (6 or 8K) and it still has plenty of life left in it. I do use what I consider to be one of the best chain lubes out there, though, Kal-Guard Chain Kote.
LouC

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 XS650D Project begins...

5twins wrote:
You don't have to spend big bucks on a chain. The $20 J.C.Whitney ones work just fine. I'm on my 3rd season on one (6 or 8K) and it still has plenty of life left in it. I do use what I consider to be one of the best chain lubes out there, though, Kal-Guard Chain Kote.

Thanks again! More good info...

I used to have a 79 650 special which I replaced the chain and sprockets on..got the stuff at a local m/c parts store...just told 'em what I had and bought what they gave me. The old stuff was pretty worn out. The new stuff worked fine. Can't recall what they charged me, but I guess it wasn't too bad...maybe $80 for chain and sprockets?

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1