650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > I think I have a short...HELP!

I think I have a short...HELP!
    Forum Index -> Electrical
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 10:56 am    Post subject: I think I have a short...HELP!

Yesterday I finally got a key made for my bike (1977 XS650D) and started testing the electronics on it. Lights work, and everything seemed to be fine except I had no spark at the plugs. I was told when I bought the bike that it needed new coils to run so I ordered 2 new coils and a condenser from Mike's. While I was testing things I tried the electric start and it kicked the engine over just fine. After I tested what I could without the new coils (should be here tomorrow) I replaced the stock fuse holder with one for a blade fuse from Pep Boys that looked a little better than the one that was taped up and didn't seem to want to carry any current without me messing with the connections. I attached a picture of it for reference. Anyway, after doing that and trying to figure out why I had no spark at the coil I switched the wires coming out of my points because the Orange wire was plugged into a Grey wire and the Grey wire out of the points was plugged into an Orange wire on the harness. That didn't make sense to me so I switched them to see if it did anything. Nothing, and as I was testing my electric start no longer worked and instead of turning over the electric start when i push the start butting, the Brake Lining indicator light comes on. What the hell? So I switched the wires back that i changed off the points and tried it again. Same thing. What the hell is going on? I realize this is long and maybe confusing so let me give you the overall problem:

When I hit my start button (kill switch on "Run", bike in neutral, brake handle held in) the "Brake Lining" light comes on and the electric start doesn't do anything. I know it works because it worked 3 minutes before. The 20A fuse isn't blown either. Any ideas?

pointswires.jpg
 Description:
Wiring coming out of the points.
 Filesize:  272.47 KB
 Viewed:  109 Time(s)

pointswires.jpg

20afuse.jpg
 Description:
New Fuse
 Filesize:  227.44 KB
 Viewed:  113 Time(s)

20afuse.jpg

dpmphoto

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I have a short...HELP!

Make sure you didnt screw up or toast part of your charging system(stator) because your electric start will not work with a bad stator.At least thats what I found out when I had trouble with my 77d.Also make sure you just dont start switching wires around without carefully following a correct diagram, some of the 77d's had wiring that didn't really match the schematics in the clymer manual.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I have a short...HELP!

You need to look carefully at the wiring diagram for your year of bike ( call up jayel's photo album..........he has coloured diagrams) Use a VOM to check the wiring for the starter solnoid. One side of the solnoid should have full battery voltage and the other side will receive "ground" potential from the starter push button.
Could be corroaded push button or corroaded connectors.

INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: I think I have a short...HELP!

Why are you holding the brake lever, and what is a brake lining light? Didn't know these things had electronic wear sensors on the pads. Check your starter relay also. Can you turn off/on the kill switch, and hear the relay kick in and out. Do you have a manual yet? If you don't, get one and read it as it will help greatly.
Photo Gallery
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I think I have a short...HELP!

I'm getting spark and the bike will run if I spray starting fluid in the carb, I just can't get the electric start to work anymore. I don't really care that much about it because I can kick it, but it would be nice to have it if it works. I have a colored diagram and after I replaced the coils, condenser and regapped the points and plugs it gets good spark. I unwrapped the harness a little to dig out the orange and grey wires for the coils a little since they're routed down in the harness and back up and now the brake lining light doesn't come on anymore. Nothing happens when I hit the starter button. I thought it could be something to do with the harness diode since thats a direct link between the starter switch and the light sensor. I don't know. I guess I'll just keep tracing wires.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1