650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > My bike didn't come with a key!

My bike didn't come with a key!
    Forum Index -> Electrical
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 11:49 am    Post subject: My bike didn't come with a key!

What do I do? I'd like to avoid replacing the ignition switch because I still don't have a key to the helmet/seat lock or to the gas tank. Any ideas?
tacoswild

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

call a local locksmith, he'll come out and make you a new one.
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

I just called one. He said it would be about $125.00 plus tax....I think I'll try my luck with the dealer.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

I know the stocks of blanks are getting ahrder to find but my local lock smith has the blanks. If the person has been inbusiness from the late 70's to today there is a chance he will have the blank or be able to get it. should only be a few $ to get one cut
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

If it's old enough to have the numbers on the locks post it and if one of mine match I'll get one cut and send it to you.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

Over here if youve got the lock number it only costs about £12 ($20) 1
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

Yes, if you can get the # off of one of the locks (tank, seat, or iggy), a local dealer may be able to punch one out for you.
tacoswild

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

ouch $125! it's been years since I needed a locksmith but I think I paid about $60. Hope you find a better deal.
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

Why not just buy a new ignition switch, and tank lid? The switch gives problems sometimes anyway, and it's easier than having someone try and make a key that may not even work properly.
Photo Gallery
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

INXS650 wrote:
Why not just buy a new ignition switch, and tank lid? The switch gives problems sometimes anyway, and it's easier than having someone try and make a key that may not even work properly.

Every switch I've found says its only good for a 78-84 and mine is a 77. I'm going up to another lock shop at lunch to see what they can do. I got the code off the locks. It's 3167 and they said they should be able to do it. I don't see why it would cost more than a few bucks for me to go up there and give them a code and have them make me a key. The other locksmith that quoted me $125 wanted to come to me, so maybe thats why its so much. Hopefully today I'll get it straight. I want to start testing electronics!
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

I had the same problem about a year ago and went to this company online: www.motorcyclekeys.com/keys.html

Your ignition and or tank gas cap should have a four digit number stamped
on it "3468" eg. With this information they'll make you a key for about
$25.00 and extras for $10 or so. Great job, quick service. I got mine in 2 days. You'll give him CC info, year, make and model. Call for him to confirm availability of proper blanks. Should be no problem

Key will then open ignition, tank and seat latch. I had 3 made for 35 I think.

Best of luck. Blue

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

bluebikerblan wrote:
I had the same problem about a year ago and went to this company online: www.motorcyclekeys.com/keys.html

Your ignition and or tank gas cap should have a four digit number stamped
on it "3468" eg. With this information they'll make you a key for about
$25.00 and extras for $10 or so. Great job, quick service. I got mine in 2 days. You'll give him CC info, year, make and model. Call for him to confirm availability of proper blanks. Should be no problem

Key will then open ignition, tank and seat latch. I had 3 made for 35 I think.

Best of luck. Blue

Thanks so much! I'm still going to go by the lock shop in a little bit to see if i can get it done today, but if they can't do it then this is the way to go.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

Make, model, year will define the key blank......four digit # the key specifics. www.motorcyclekeys.com/keys.html has al the old bike blanks.
Good luck, let us know how you did. Blue

PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: My bike didn't come with a key!

bluebikerblan wrote:
Make, model, year will define the key blank......four digit # the key specifics. www.motorcyclekeys.com/keys.html has al the old bike blanks.
Good luck, let us know how you did. Blue

Well I called about 10 locksmiths and finally a place called American Lock & Key told me they could do it. They got me the blanks (YM43 or ilco YH44) and cut the key using the code and we tested it on the tank. It cost me $36 for 2 keys and it was well worth the money to avoid wiring switches and replacing tank locks and stuff.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1