650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Just bought a 1977 XS650

Just bought a 1977 XS650
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 8:54 am    Post subject: Just bought a 1977 XS650

Hi,

Yesterday I picked up a 1977 Yamaha XS650 for $375. It's not my first bike but its my biggest so far. I just sold a 1972 Yamaha R5C and I'm looking forward to getting this one running and learning all about it.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

GOOD LUCK WITH HER HAVE A LOOK AROUND AND POST A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN EVERYONE LOVES TO SEE WHAT EVERYBODY RIDES.

CHEERS KYLE
Photo Gallery
sture

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

GL HF!
Pictures is always nice. Im jealous at the bike prices over there.
Photo Gallery
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

I should have pics tonight. I'm excited to get into the world of four stroke vintage bikes. The two strokes can be a hassle. I'm planning on doing a cafe style bike with clubmans and a cafe seat. I just ordered new coils and a condenser and a brake hose from MikesXS and I need to get a key made since mine is missing. I guess I'll be pulling the ignition off tonight and try to get that number that the dealer needs to make me a key.
Bobman

PostPosted: September 4, 2007, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

I think Mike's or 650 Central can help you with the key. They can either get you a key or have cylinders with keys available. Good luck and welcome.

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

As you can see I've got plenty of polishing to do and I've got two new coils, a condenser, a brake hose and a clutch cable on the way from MikesXS. I need to order some clubman bars and a master cylinder and some pod filters, jets and an exhaust. I've never done a rejet before so that should be a learning experience that hopefully won't be too complicated. I'm going to a locksmith at lunch to get a key made (hopefully) since I went to my local dealer and they were pretty much just unwilling to help me. That particular dealer (Virginia Honda Yamaha) is notorious for being assholes to people right when they walk in the door. I would never shop there if it wasn't so close to my house. They told me there was no way they could get a key blank for a 1977 bike, which I find VERY hard to believe since they didn't even look.

Anyway, the project is underway as I stripped off some of the things I needed to so I could get to the carbs and a few things that I'm going to go without, like signals. Its moving along slowly but surely.

xs650engine.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.11 KB
 Viewed:  84 Time(s)

xs650engine.jpg

xs650.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.34 KB
 Viewed:  80 Time(s)

xs650.jpg

LouC

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

Looks like we are in similar boats! I just picked up a 77 myself that's been sitting since 2004. Got some work to do before I can try to fire it up and make sure it runs OK. Good luck on your project!
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

LouC wrote:
Looks like we are in similar boats! I just picked up a 77 myself that's been sitting since 2004. Got some work to do before I can try to fire it up and make sure it runs OK. Good luck on your project!

Thanks! I got mine to fire last night after I replaces the coils and gapped the points. The points were for some reason gapped at about .125" and i think they're supposed to be gapped at like 0.024". After I gapped the points and plugs it made great spark. I haven't gotten a chance to rebuild the carbs yet but if i spray starting fluid in them the bike will fire a few times. I'm pretty excited.
LouC

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1977 XS650

Congrats on getting it to fire! That's a major step. I pulled the air filters off .. one was missing all the foam..other one just a little missing...both sides looked like critter nests ... I need to get a battery and see if I can fire it up with some direct spray...then we can dig into the carbs, etc...just gotta get some kind of indication of engine status... Smile

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1