650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Noob.

Noob.
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Kablazzie

PostPosted: August 14, 2007, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Noob.

Hi all. I just bought my 74' 650 back off my father and have been hitting it hard for the past week.
We had started to build it up about 7 years ago. Plans were to make a Kenny Roberts replica street tracker. It looks rough, but there were a lot of things done and he was more or less a tracker kit away from being done with all the other stuff, not pictured.

I was young and just started ripping the thing apart to rebuild the motor. I found out after the fact that to delete the starter that you need to crack the cases and pull out the reduction gear. Found that out when I pulled the shaft and heard it drop. I was intimidated by the task, so it sat. And sat. For 7 years. Then I sold the project back to my father, who has built bikes his whole life.
After he got his hands on it he stared to do it up as a bobber/street fighter/pissed off something. Got a lot of stuff done but didn't have the time to finish it. But he wouldn't budge on selling it.

So after searching and searching for my own 650 I kept coming up on dead ends. My father saw how bad I was searching and finally caved in and sold it back to me. Nice.

y intentions now, and for a few years, was to build a cafe racer. I have always loved them. And that's where I sit now.

7 years and 45 min later after getting the bike home I cracked the cases and pulled them damn gear. It's been non stop ever since. And it's only been about a week and a half.

I have lots of questions. Too many to post in this thread. But I promise not to ask without searching first. I've done a lot of research but still have come to dead ends with some answers.

I hope to start a build-up thread in the very near future and keep you guys posted on the progress. I'm so damn excited to have this bike back in my hands.

So there you have it.

/rant

Cheers!

-Nathan
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2007, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob.

What bike are the wheels off, and how do they fit? Looks to be a fun project, and a pretty good runner when you are done. Good luck, and dont' be afraid to ask questions.
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2007, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob.

Looks like something really great to start with ... like INXS says ... ask away. Thats what this forum is all about. Half the fun is building it.
Kablazzie

PostPosted: August 14, 2007, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob.

INXS650 wrote:
What bike are the wheels off, and how do they fit?

They're off of a 600 FZR. And as far as fit, the rear doesn't really. If i used the FZR swing-arm it may, but the real issue is chain alignment.
The only way to get the front wheel to work right is to use the FZR front end. That's what is on in the lower pic.
The axle is smaller and the fork legs are wider, and 38mm.
It's a much better front end than the 34mm. But I'm not really a fan of those three spokers. I love the spoked (akron?) wheels. I have always loved the deep sidewalls on the rim.
That's my biggest issue at the moment, fitting the spoked wheel into the later model forks. I'm wondering if larger cc bikes have a larger 17mm front axle. If that's the case then all I would need is spacers to center the wheel. I'm trying to avoid milling out the fork's axle holes to accept the 650's original axle. I'd like to keep as many parts in stock condition to make it easier to find stuff.
The other thing is I'm trying to convert to dual disk, but the spoked wheel hub is narrower than the 3 spokers. Now, the 650's rotors have an offset to align the disk with the calipers, and the late model 3 spokers' disks are almost flat due to the wider hub. But, like the rest of it, I take the hard route and want to fit the lighter, drilled, free floating disks to the older hub. I could space out the disk from the hub with spacers, but I lose the "hubcentrics" of the rotor where it mounts to the hub. And I'm not keen on that idea.
So maybe I can find a 36H hub that is wide enough to fit the late model rotors and use the 15mm ID bearings and lace it up. The closest thing I could find is a flat track hub (but no rotor face) or a TT hub (which I think only has a rotor mount face on one side)

If anyone has any ideas or leads, please let me know. It would be a huge improvement on handling and feel of the front end with the larger legs and dual disks. And instead of clubmans I can use clip-ons.

I have a headache.

-Nathan
natek1977
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 22, 2007, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob.

From one Nathan to another.....looks like you got the makings of a pretty sick bike there! Be sure to keep an update with some pics...I'd love to see how it turns out. Cool Shocked Best of luck....... Nathan
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1