650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
racer7x

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 10:33 am    Post subject: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

My uncle just dropped of his 1969 650 Triumph and asked if I could get running again. Last ran in 1984. Carbs have already been gone through and I am dealing with the fuel tank right now. Seems to have good compression.

I have a few questions and I know I'll will find someone here to set me on the right path. I can cover the basics as far as points, plugs, carbs.

Is there anything specific to an old Triumph I should know?

Wasn't there some discussion about de-rusting a fuel tank by electrolysis?

When I kick this thing over it has oil gurgling in the exhaust and the oil tank is dry. I assume all oil leaked into the crankcase? Do I just drain and refill the tank?

I believe this has +positive ground, is that true?

I don't want to make any more work for myself with self induced problems so any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Best advice I can give you as anyone who works on motorcycles will tell you is go to step one. BUY A SERVICE MANUAL. Yes they are expensive but are they more expensive then a big mistake? Any how electrolysis is a cool way of derusting a tank no harsh chemicals and a new like finish on the inside. As I remember there is a drain on the bottom of the engine and yes you would drain it there. Now the next thig and I cant remember which brittish bike's it affected but some (includeing the harley sportster) needed to be primed after oil draining. again a good manual would tell you. as I remember it is positive ground and again the manual will tell you. These bikes as I remember them also needed more freaquent valve adjustments then say the xs bikes, reason being is they are pushrod motors verses direct cam and rocker. More room for era. the amal carbs if not worn out work adequately and can be tempermental. If they are worn they can be a nightmare. A good set of 34mm vm's was the cure for them. Electrics can also be a nightmare. there is a reason for jokes like lucas the prince of darkness. Or the reason europeans drink warm beer is because lucas builds there refridgerators, etc. The best thing I did to my old bsa which was basically the same electrical system was get rid of all the heat sinks and used a voltpac electronic rectifier/regulator. I think ricks electrics still makes these. Other then that I dont remember anything standing out as problams.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Sell it 'as is' and buy another XS650...Much better bike...no leaks,less vibration & more people will stop to look at a nice XS,they do over here anyhow! Twisted Evil
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Those triumphs have alot of quirks just as these xs650`s do. You need to drain all the oil. I think the tank holds 2 qts. and about a cup in the primary.Mine had the oil switch sticking causing the oil to leak outta the tank and into the primary. It should be primed after setting that long, pull the plugs, loosen the acorn nuts at the rocker feeds, kick it till oil comes out,tighten up, kick till oil returns to tank. If its orignal its pos ground, i think they changed around 79 to neg. Use the carb ticklers till gas comes out, choke it, if its right it should fire with acouple of kicks. I try to fire mine a couple times a month. All of this is from memory, and i am gettin alittle old. Like Roy says, get a manual.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Yes the xs is a much better bike but I beleive this has been in the family awhile and should stay there. And the triumph was not that bad of a bike, could be worse ONE OF THOSE MONEY SUCKING VACUME CLEANERS MADE IN THE GOOD OLD USOFA.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Harleys?LOL so true! Twisted Evil
Seriously though '69 was THE best Trumpet...Worth an absolute mint over here in the land of its birth! I would definitly want another 69 Trumpet if I was offered it cheaply enough Sad
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

I got a 68, my dad bought it new. In its day they were about the hottest thing around. Dad loved to talk about smokin my uncles sporty, of course my uncle hated that story and always got ribbed about it. Hey racer7x, ya might try triumphrat.com, i used to get some tips off there.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: August 7, 2007, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Unless it's already been done, you'll need to install hardened valve seats or run lead additive.

tracker 79, I had a '68 Bonnie, bought new in that year. The little elves in Coventry changed the composition of the pushrod tower O-rings that year. My O-rings gave out around halfway across Kansas on a run from Champaign, IL to Boulder, CO; the pool of oil started forming on top of the tranny case just as the odometer turned past the warrantee mileage--no free fixes on recall back then, at least not from Triumph. What a PITA those pushrod towers were to deal with--only good part about working on those beasts was that the head could be pulled with the engine in the frame.

PostPosted: August 9, 2007, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Thanks for the input. It might make some noise this weekend.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: August 15, 2007, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Triumph Fresh out of storage- any help?

Can you post a pic of the triumph
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1