650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > tapered steering bearing install

tapered steering bearing install
    Forum Index -> Frames
ChuckD

PostPosted: August 29, 2005, 11:05 am    Post subject: tapered steering bearing install

Hey All,
I'm getting that sticky feeling with the steering on my ride and it's time to swap out to the tappered steering bearings.
Can someone out there give a guy some advice or any help in doing this mod.
What should I look for when doing this?
What should I avoid?
Is there a procedure I should follow?
It seems like a simple mod, I've just never done it before!
Thanks, Chuck
grizld1

PostPosted: August 29, 2005, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: tapered steering bearing install

It's a pretty straightforward procedure. Pop the old races off the steering stem and out of the steering head, drive the new races in with a wooden or plastic drift, lube up the bearings and reinstall. The main thing is to start the new races straight and drive 'em straight. I've done the install a few times, and only had a problem once, when a race wouldn't drive without cocking. A little 320 paper and patience cured that; the machining inside the steering head was a little rough and had to be cleaned up.

Tapered rollers tend to lose grease from the top down, so it's a real good idea to give 'em an annual relubing. The results are worth the extra maintenance.

WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: August 29, 2005, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tapered steering bearing install

I was hoping you'd give some wisdom on this grizld1 as this is on my winter "To Do List" as well as progressive springs, Fork Brace and fork boots.
Photo Gallery
ChuckD

PostPosted: August 30, 2005, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: tapered steering bearing install

thanks, grizld1
I'll be attacking this soon and share the results.
Chuck
Tomterrific

PostPosted: September 2, 2005, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tapered steering bearing install

I just saw a great tool made for removing steering head bearings. Think of a long tube with 4 lengthwise cuts about half way up. The cut tube has the 4 cuts flared out slightly, looks like an old broom. The tool is pulled through the steering head until the 4 flares spring out inside, push back slightly to engage the bearing. The other end of the tube sticks out of the steering head and is tapped with a hammer to remove the opposite bearing. Bad description but neat tool idea.

Tom Graham
Columbus, Ohio
Phred

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: tapered steering bearing install

I had no trouble removing mine with a metal drift (or was it a screwdriver) and a hammer or mallet. They pop out pretty easy-they are not much more than a large washer with a groove stamped in it. When you see it start to move, you've won. Inspect the inside of the neck before installing the new races. Mine ('75) has weld material pretty close to both ends of the neck tube, and requires a bit of attention with a die grinder or Dremel tool.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tapered steering bearing install

Although there are several methods of removing and installing races & bearings, having a BMW has tought me to preheat the race area and freeze the races themslves and they fall in effortlessly.........Jack
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: December 26, 2005, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: tapered steering bearing install

I installed a set on my XS today. Went pretty smooth considering my lack of proper tools. I can't wait to ride it with the new bearings, the original ball bearings were terrible. I'm also installing the progressive springs along with my recently installed fork brace. should be a lot better handling scooter now.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1