650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > brain as dead as charging on my 1980 xs

brain as dead as charging on my 1980 xs
    Forum Index -> Electrical
dhsmith

PostPosted: July 28, 2007, 7:57 pm    Post subject: brain as dead as charging on my 1980 xs

Crying or Very sad 1980 xs - I removed the brushes back in January and ordered a new rotor, and brushes. I just got my puller so yesterday I pulled the bad rotor and put the new one on. I'm not positive I remember exactly how the brushes are wired. Rotors are expensive and I sure don't want to fry one because I was stupid and did not get everything wired back up right. Could someone please
email me a good clear picture of the wiring at the brushes.
Thanks,
Dennis
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 28, 2007, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: brain as dead as charging on my 1980 xs

sorry this is the best I can do ------------ well duh! senior moment didn't even think about wiring from harness

gen2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.85 KB
 Viewed:  1558 Time(s)

gen2.jpg

gen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.84 KB
 Viewed:  1580 Time(s)

gen.jpg

Last edited by jayel on July 29, 2007, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 28, 2007, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: brain as dead as charging on my 1980 xs

Pretty good picture. The 2 wires will really only hook up one way. One is shorter than the other, and will only go to one spot.
Photo Gallery
dhsmith

PostPosted: July 29, 2007, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: brain as dead as charging on my 1980 xs

Thanks! I have it right but still no charge. i think I blew something else back in January when I was diagnosing the charging system. I was bypassing the regulator with a jump per someones post on another site and got sparks then the head light went dead. I just have to figure out what now. For someone that has hand wired a 1970 Cutlass swap from carb to multi port FI including the modern cruise control and all accessories supported by the computer I sure am having trouble figuring out a simple dinky ole motor cycle thanks again for your help...
Dennis
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 29, 2007, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: brain as dead as charging on my 1980 xs

Yup.....While working on my TV a few years ago I decided to run a jumper from a transistor body to ground.......Had to get another TV.......Don't feel alone...The more we think we know the bigger our goofs can get.........

John
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1