650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Morning Pains

Morning Pains
    Forum Index -> Drive
turk64

PostPosted: August 24, 2005, 7:40 am    Post subject: Morning Pains

Hello all.
I have an 83 Heritage Special that has a hard time getting going in the morrning. After letting it warm up at 2K rpm for about 10 min I get on and shift into first and the engine dies. It will do this for a couple of tries and then it finally lets me get going. Once I was able to start out in 2nd but that only worked once. Yesterday after letting it sit for about 2 hours it went through the same thing again. I am afraid it is getting worse. Has anyone gone through this and if so what did you do about it? I saw the post on adjusting your clutch, I am going to try that tonight and see if that helps. I guess that should be done when the engine is stone cold.
Thanks for any help you can give!
Barry
Harrisburg PA
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: August 24, 2005, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Morning Pains

Sounds like an adjustment issue; but while you're tweaking, try removing the right side engine cover and cleaning and relubing the wormgear and clutch pushrod. The chain tends to toss a lot of lube and crud into that area, and things need to be tidied up once in awhile. While you're in there, inspect the pushrod to make sure it's straight.

If that doesn't do it, post again; there are a couple of internal issues that can cause the clutch to hang up, but with any luck you won't have to go there.

PostPosted: August 25, 2005, 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Morning Pains

Thanks I will give that a shot, I have to tear into it again anyway to replace a clogged fuel filter, I hope. Don't you mean the left side engine cover? That is the drive side. And if I do remove the cover is this a dry area or is oil going to go all over my garage floor?
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: August 25, 2005, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Morning Pains

Left / Sprocket side is dry. You can remove with oil in engine, But I would drain / change oil if you plan on changing the clutch pushrod oil deal or removing the pushrod.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: August 25, 2005, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Morning Pains

Oops! I sure did mean the left side cover--the right side's the one we hope we don't have to get into! The pushrod can be pulled out for cleaning and inspection; be sure to give it a little oil before reinserting it in the seal.

PostPosted: August 29, 2005, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Morning Pains

Well I pulled off the cover and there was a whole world opened to me. First off it was rather nasty in there and what was there had been there for a while but I was able to get all the gunk off and get down to bare metal. I pulled the rod and it looked good, no grooves or burs that I could make out. What I did notice was that the return spring for the mechanism that pushes the pushrod was pretty much spent, it is stretched out and is not quite making the return trip after the clutch is released. By the way that device was quite coated with 20 year old grease so I took it apart and cleaned as well, I am pretty sure that I got it back together again. I started the bike up on its center stand and put it into gear. It clunked loudly but it did engage.

BTW while I had the cover off I hit it with paint remover to take off the old yellow crap and hit it with some emory cloth. I still need to do some more rubbing but it looks like it will come out nicely after some more elbow grease and polich. Thanks for the tip!

Then I moved on to the fuel problem that I have, but that is another story...

When the combination of repairs and weather is in alignment I will let you all know if this situation is corrected.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1