650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > Top End Work > > cams cams cams!

cams cams cams!
    Forum Index -> Top End Work
TripleKing

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 12:46 am    Post subject: cams cams cams!

so is there any consensus on a top grind for these bikes?
Jack

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: cams cams cams!

I f your staying with the stock displacement of 650CCs,then you'd be best to use a camshaft with either mid 240 or 250 degrees of duration at 40 or 50 to maintain good streetable characteristics of torque and hp cuz anything around 265 degrees and performance will suffer...............Jack
natemeins

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: cams cams cams!

Maybe I haven't done a complete search here yet but I'll throw it out anyway. I noticed when I received my performance cam from Mike's that the spec sheet called out for a .006" running clearance for BOTH intake and exhaust, whereas the stock setting is .002" intake and .004" exhaust. Is there any reason for this big of a jump from stock settings? Seems to me it would make less valve opening and shorter duration, not to mention noisier in the valve "clinking" department running down the road. I admit I was a bit reluctant of these numbers, so I've set them at .004" and .006". Seems to run fine, but I'm wondering if I'm losing out on some performance because I'm not at .006". I know this is the kind of cam that takes lots of revs to make its power, but I generally dont rap the ole' gal up that high. Anyone else running this cam and would like to chime in? By the way, my engine has the 750 big bore kit, 34mm mikunis, boyer ignition, and iridium plugs, if it makes any difference. Thanks for all y'alls help.
Jack

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: cams cams cams!

Mikes XS Performance camshaft has very aggressive ramp profiles,the same as the Megacycle profile and those clearances are needed to prevent the rocker arm from digging in or gouging the cam lobes coming off from the base of the cam and are also the key to the timing events of the cam during opening and closing of the valves. DO NOT EXPERIMENT WITH TIGHTER LASH SETTINGS BELOW THE CAM MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDATIONS,YOU CAN WIPE OUT THOSE CAM LOBES QUICKLY!,I know,I've been down that road using a billet camshaft.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: cams cams cams!

Interesting reading here on Mikes cam:

xs650temp.proboards.co...042&page=1

Better too much lash than too little for sure! If you can't hear them, they're too tight!

Also, I don't know what Yamaha were thinking when they said .002, but thats generaly accepted as being way too tight!

xsjohn

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cams cams cams!

All this makes me want to go out and give my absolutely great running 8-1 a big hug....... Cool

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Top End Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1