650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > new to the board - central pa

new to the board - central pa
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
fallen

PostPosted: July 17, 2007, 11:23 am    Post subject: new to the board - central pa

hey all, just picked up an xs650 its a barn fresh 1972 xs2. i got lucky with this one. i got it pretty cheap as a non runner and had it running after a quick fluids change, new plugs, and a fusible link fix. when i pulled the front brake master cylinder the fluid looked like pudding so i need to change that. all thats left is to figure out the clutch, its operational just really hard to squeeze the lever... if anyone is near central pennsylvania hit me up... back to the garage for now.

dscn2206.jpg
 Description:
 Filename:  dscn2206.jpg
 Filesize:  656.8 KB
 Downloaded:  254 Time(s)
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: July 17, 2007, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the board - central pa

Welcome to the group!

Nice looking bike - there are a few good threads in the board about hard clutches.. just search for 'Hard clutch' - I'm sure you'll find lots of good info.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: July 17, 2007, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the board - central pa

Hi "fallen" welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike.

I'd strip the left side panel off the engine and check to see what's going on in the clutch pushrod mechanism. (no worries the oil won't come out if you remove the left side.) Check to see that your clutch cable is free to move with the linkage removed at the bottom.
Probably replace the clutch cable anyway (not much fun to have a broken clutch cable).

Check the clutch pushrod and wormgear mechanism

650rider.com/Forums/vi...lutch.html
650rider.com/Forums/vi...lutch.html

I'm near Three Mile Island, whereabouts are you?
fallen

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the board - central pa

thanks for the welcome and the tip. i took the left side case off and inspected the rod, then i lubed the clutch cable and it works pretty smooth now. took it for the first ride today...im pretty impressed these yamaha's have some power!
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the board - central pa

A straighter cable run may give you less resistance pulling in the clutch if its still stiff. (I re-routed my clutch cable because of the drag bars that are on it now)

Just enough power to get you in trouble. Love that thumping torque! Twisted Evil Should be able to bring the front up with a stock rear sprocket. Not that I advocate that behavior, it simply has the power.

How is it to kickstart with the compression release? Should be very easy. My 79 doesn't have one but its still pretty easy. Rarely use the electric.

Bring it up to the Ephrata American Legion first sunday of the month for breakfast; meet some more XS650 owners.
fallen

PostPosted: July 28, 2007, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: new to the board - central pa

yeah i eased the clutch up, so far its been a one kick wonder so i dont use the electric start, i just got done welding up some straight pipes on it.... its nice and loud now.
Photo Gallery
stew

PostPosted: August 1, 2007, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the board - central pa

you sure have some clean dry barns around your way, I got mine from a garage, and its 10 times worse than yours. needs complet strip & build.
Photo Gallery
fallen

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the board - central pa

yeah i got really lucky the guy took pretty good care of it
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1