650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Beginning of a problem

Beginning of a problem
    Forum Index -> Fuel
BobJJ
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 8:32 am    Post subject: Beginning of a problem

My bike is starting to get a problem. It's '75 650. On the highway runs great, midrange is good, come to a stop light it idles great then it does a pop and dies, acts just like the key is turned off but not. I just hit the starter button and takes off. I turned up the idle to compensate, now it does a little pop but stays running. sounds like left cylinder.
I took out the pilot screws and sprayed the opening with carb spray, no difference. I put in carb kits this spring, went up one size on the jets and moved the needle clip up one was running rich I thought. I have pod filters and cut rubber to open air holes, Also have open mufflers. Would like any help, going on vacation in 3 weeks and want to ride it about 1500 miles.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning of a problem

check your ignition wires unplug, clean and put di-electric grease on all connections, everything from the points thur the coils, handlebar kill switch, ignition switch contacts - here's a wiring diagram should be the same as your 75

74tx650a.jpg
 Description:
 Filename:  74tx650a.jpg
 Filesize:  167.84 KB
 Downloaded:  246 Time(s)

INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning of a problem

Recheck your points/condenser also, could be an ignition problem.
Photo Gallery
BobJJ
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Beginning of a problem

I want to say thanks. Jayel you fixed 2 of my problems. I didn't fininsh cleaning all ends yet still have to go under the tank, I ran out of cleaner. But the idle is working now and also my charging system works great, before I rev the engine and voltage was 13.1 thought that was all from reading here that they have weak charging system, now it charges at 15.1! The plug ends on the regulator were all white with corosion. I really stress that anyone with an old bike to do this. Also the wiring diagram is the best I've seen the one I have was a real problem to figure out when wireing all the wires in the headlight when I changed everything on it.
Again thanks.

Now I would like to see if this could be a problem. Before I did all the above I took the alternator brushes out and they were good but on the rotor the outside ring has burn pits on the outside of the ring, could this turn into a problem?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Beginning of a problem

the pits would have been caused by arcing, if it was caused by the bad connections and the pits aren't in/on the slip rings themselves and the system works it shouldn't be a problem if they are in/on the slip ring just make sure they are as smooth as possible so it doesn't eat brushes

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1