650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > K&N PODS

K&N PODS
    Forum Index -> Fuel
jp1979

PostPosted: June 25, 2007, 3:20 pm    Post subject: K&N PODS

Every one says K&N's are the way to go, so I have 76 carbs does any one know what part number would be best to use? I just want to slap them on and not have to worry about trimmen them.

Thanks!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 25, 2007, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

I prefer Ramair foam pod-filters myself...
Photo Gallery
78xs

PostPosted: July 1, 2007, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

hi jp,

i have '77 carbs and put k&n #RU-1822. they are a nice snug fit without any alterations.
hope that helps.

bob
78xs

PostPosted: July 1, 2007, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

p.s.

this kit includes two filters.

bob
5twins

PostPosted: July 1, 2007, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

Best prices I've found are here .....

www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/...dead176690

You want the RU (rubber end cap) not the RC (chrome end cap). The RCs cost more, taper more and are a smaller filter because of that. It's been mentioned on these lists that the stock carbs don't like a filter with much taper. The RUs taper very slightly and are almost straight. The RU-1820 is a single filter (so order 2). As 78xs said, RU-1822 would be a set of 2, 1824 would be a set of 4.
cpotts454

PostPosted: July 5, 2007, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

I used a generic pod air filter from a 125 dirt bike with a radiator elbow cut in two to hold them off the sides of the bike. Seems like the smaller air filter gives you a pod look without rejetting. Seems to be working correctly!
Photo Gallery
CornbreadRed
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2007, 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

Is the RU 1822 the right size for the '81 CV carbs too?
Chip

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

5twins wrote:
Best prices I've found are here .....

www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/...dead176690

You want the RU (rubber end cap) not the RC (chrome end cap). The RCs cost more, taper more and are a smaller filter because of that. It's been mentioned on these lists that the stock carbs don't like a filter with much taper. The RUs taper very slightly and are almost straight. The RU-1820 is a single filter (so order 2). As 78xs said, RU-1822 would be a set of 2, 1824 would be a set of 4.

I ordered those yesterday. How long did they take to get to you? I'm having my carbs worked on and I hope to have them and the filters by early next week. Anybody have experience with this place?
5twins

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

For the '80-on BS34s, you want the RU-0981. Same filter body as the 1820 but larger mounting flange. Odd but the BS34s have a larger intake bell O.D. than the BS38s.
xsMVxs

PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

5twins,

did you re-jet with the RU's you mention above? Do the side covers still fit? If you did re-jet what size jets (main jets right?) did you go with?

5twins

PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: K&N PODS

These pods fit just fine under the sidecovers (on my '78 Standard, anyway). Minor re-jetting will probably be needed. I needed one size up on the mains with them and a near stock flowing exhaust. When I added Mike's new freer flowing Commando mufflers and a minor port job, I was able to go up another size.

I can't give you an exact jet size # because stock jetting specs changed several times over the 650 production run. First, determine what year carb set you've got. These bikes are so old and have been through so many owners that some have had the carbs swapped. Refer to this chart I drew up and base your jetting on what came stock in your year carb set .....

img163.imageshack.us/i...cs1qb3.png

These carbs are pretty picky about their settings and jetting for mods usually involves more than just swapping mains. Larger mains bleed over into the upper midrange and many times cause a stumble. Tuning that out by lowering (leaning) the needle will sometimes create a flat spot just off idle, requiring an increase in pilot jet size.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1