650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Some pics of my XS650 project

Some pics of my XS650 project
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
TeeCat

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

That's simply ACE!! Razz

BTW... how did you scuff the forks? Been wanting to get the yellowed lacquer off of mine.

TC
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Sky,

Hats off to ya man.. ya got guts and follow through.. that's a winning combination, as your work shows.

Had a great time catching up on the thread and seeing your progress - can't wait for the fully decked out ride vid.

You almost inspire me to start chopping my restoration project. Smile

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Almost? Smile

Thanks for the comments!

I finally finished wiring the bike, got the air system all together. So I put together a quick video to show it in action:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=87dtINGpxhU

I think one of the things I'm most happy about is how clean the setup ended up being. It's not all sloppy like it was before, turned out fairly neat and organized, not a lot of extra crap lying all over the place.

Yes, it does air up pretty quickly Smile

Here's some pictures of the air setup:

and a quick picture from the side:

I also installed the calipers, hand controls and got some new grips. Was kind of sad to see the blue grips go Smile

Anyway, just a few odds and ends need to be ordered to finish up the bike. The last major thing to do is I want to build brake lines for the front. The lines I have were purchased from Ebay and are just too long, they look extremely sloppy, so I want to build some to clean up the front end.

Thanks for looking!
Sky
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

That is one badass build. Great detail, can't wait to see the finished product.
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Great build. Suggestion - the air line around the chain...looks close...good luck when the chain stretches
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

I realized after I put the picture up that it looks close. It's actually about an inch and a half away from the chain.
Dunbar

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

lookin' good, Sky...lookin' real good.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

on the air system... does it lock in after it is raised? ie; if you lose air pressure would it still stay in the up posistion? I think a lock-in like on a motorcycle lift where it goes up and then lowers into a locked-in posistion might be possible
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

I thought about it for months when I was building it. Obviously it would be the smart way to go. Unfortunately I could never come up with an effective system that wasn't sloppy looking.
NateDogg

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Maybe just an emergency skateboard wheel under there , ya know, light duty like a donut spare, just to get ya home!!
newelly

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

sky,
what forks are you running, and whats the size of the front tire, boh rim and tire... love the bike...looks amazing you are an insipration to all of us at home that are building...
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

newelly wrote:
sky,
what forks are you running, and whats the size of the front tire, boh rim and tire... love the bike...looks amazing you are an insipration to all of us at home that are building...

Read the first page! Actualy, read all the pages Cool

newelly

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

i read all the pages... he changed the fork to my knowledge...just asking
Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Same forks as in the beginning: 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R inverted

But I did remove the anodized gold coating, and they look completely different!

Last few parts should be here tomorrow, look for a running and riding vid sometime soon!
newelly

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

thanks sky... great build
Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Oh yeah!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge681ZagJCY

She is, finished! Well, there's a breather hose I have to route, but other than that it's a done deal!

I still haven't decided on the seat. I may or may not put something on there.

I've submitted the bike to be in the central oregon rod and custom show. It's an indoor affair in March. We'll see in a few days if they accept my application or not.

Thanks for all the interest throughout my thread guys, I really do appreciate all the feedback and all the advice. It's been a long journey, can't wait to start the next one!

Sky

P.s. - I should have a riding video up pretty soon. If I can get some help taking the bike off the table Smile Also, Friday is supposed to be the only nice day for the next week, so I'm trying to get the bike riding Friday.

Also, That mockup battery has gasped its last gasp. I need a new battery Sad
interex87

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

yeah bro get some video up it looks great
ghostyder

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

congrats on a great project! i enjoyed every bit of it!!

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

just flat out SICK!!!

Wish I had your talent.

Congrats.
Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Yamaha_chop wrote:
... can't wait to start the next one!

Hope this will be a XS 650 too so we can follow!

Great job!!

Z TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Thanks again guys!

Whee! I got to ride it! Smile

Felt so good to ride again, this bike is a blast, albeit a little odd looking when airedup Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2j78EmWGiI

A few beauty shots to match:

And a comparison shot with my sister in law's ZX6E for size:

I was so stoked the snow melted away so I could ride today. The weather is supposed to be terrible for at least a week after today, so I was really pushing to get a ride in.

Rides just as smooth and cool as I remember!

Also, a quick note on the video, the chain does not normally have that much slack on the bottom when I set it down. I forgot to put it in neutral which allows the jackshaft sprocket to spin, which allows the chain to droop evenly.

Sky
Xumi

PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Sky,

That bike is truly off the hook! I gotta give you chops for having the funkiest ride I've ever witnessed. Right on.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
Dunbar

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

My god, Sky! You, sir, are Godlike!
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: March 8, 2009, 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Yippee!

So I got accepted for the show today! Should be a pretty cool deal, I go to set up on Thursday night, and the show goes on FRI, SAT, SUN. It's an indoor show

I'm pretty excited obviously, because this is my first show ever. Should be a really fun experience.

The show goes from 3/20 to 3/22 and be assured, I'll be taking plenty of pictures!

Official site: www.centraloregoncarshow.com

Later
Sky

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12