650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Some pics of my XS650 project

Some pics of my XS650 project
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 1, 2009, 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

I use that to do the initial cleaning.

Then I used water to make sure it's all out and clean.
sure

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

water wouldn't help to clean it out unless you are using a newer water base paint..
always use thinner..it will not hurt the gun and will save the headaches you have been giving yourself..Trust me..I haven't steered you wrong yet..
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Big thanks guys, I sprayed the clear on the rear fender and the tank. I've definitely got some orange peel going on, but overall I think it's going to work for me, I'm starting reassembly soon.

Thanks again for your help Sure.
Sky
sure

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Buff it..It will look a hundred times better..I even think those tool rental places rents them if you don't know someone who has one..
and you are very welcome..
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

I was definitely going to look into buffing them, the tank and fender are almost the last peices to go on, so I can be reassembling the bike and buffing them at the same time.
Dunbar

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

any plans to show the bike this summer? I'll be back in Oregon on leave towards the end of July, most likely with my XS, i'd love to see the bike in person.
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Absolutely, I'm trying to find some sort of schedule that has all the central oregon events listed. I want to make it to as many as possible this summer.

The only event I know for sure right now that I'm attending is going to be in April. There's a metric sportbike shop in Bend that's having a small show and I'm supposed to bring the bike down for that.
Dunbar

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

i know my friends had talked about a ride on our respective bikes ('66 X6 Hustler, '79 GS550, and my '81 XS650) out to Bend while i'm back...you're not by any chance a fan of small Italian cars, are ya? there's an Alfa Romeo meet/show/trackday thing at PIR in July and i'll be there with the XS drooling on the italians, you should come to that. (if that's your cup of tea)
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

questionable, I'm not sure just how far I'm willing to ride on this thing just yet, HA!

So let's get this party started!

I took about five hours today rearranging and cleaning my garage. It was driving me insane, I'm kind of a neat freak. Now I can actually access my tools again without walking across one of my tables. Everything is in place, but I do still need a few items. I should be able to reassemble quite a bit of the bike now though, it should come together nicely over the next few weeks.

Yeah I know, it shouldn't take that long, but I'm not in a huge hurry, it's still winter here Wink
NateDogg

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

can't friggin wait to see this thing together
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Got the front end on today while my little one was napping.

I think it looks pretty good with the scuffed front forks and black triple trees. The bike definitely looks different than it did before. Looks almost like an exile style bike.

I should get a more complete image when I get some more of it together.

thanks
Sky
Dunbar

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Sky, man, this is looking absolutely bonkers, i love it!

cheers

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Yep...drool
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

OK, I cheated Smile

I don't quite have all the stuff I need, and I'll have to take most of it apart again, but I did a quick dry run to see what it's going to look like because I couldn't wait.

I think It's looking really good, and now I'm debating whether to clean the pipes and just keep them bare, or paint them with high temp paint?

Anyway, thanks for looking.
Sky
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

...Spanking off right now ! Smile
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
newelly

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

your bike is amazing... pretty frickin cool the way the air shock works,
Photo Gallery
Dunbar

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

holy crap, Sky...that looks amazing!
cpotts454

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

One word... WOW. That paint job looks incredible. Would have never guessed it was a garage job.
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Really cool, and I don't really care for that style of bike, I think the contraption factor is really what I'm loving most, Im into making weird stuff just for fun. Anyway, I would wait till you have it all together to decide on the pipes, I think you may have enough brand new shiny stuff that the unfinished pipes might be a nice contrast. Sort of like those bikes with new wheels and tires, freshly painted frame and polished out motor, topped off by a beat up tank and fender...just have to see. BTW rookie dad, I got number 4 coming in July!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Haha, thanks for all the good comments guys, it's really an amazing feeling to have it all coming together like this, feels weird to be coming to the end of the road on this project.

The paint turned out OK, if I took closer up pictures you'd see lots of orange peel in the clear. I'm probably going to rub it out later, but right now I'm kind of digging the rough look, it matches the front end, and probably the pipes.

NateDogg, I can't imagine having four kids, kudos to you!
ghostyder

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

awesome job, and im impressed with how quickly you got it to this point. especially with the new baby.

my project isnt nearly as complicated and ive gotten lazy as hell.

youre gonna have some shiny trophies !

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

absolutely insane!!! nice work!...i've built cars that layed frame, but never a bike...ingenuity at its finest...and with a new baby to boot Cool i've got two mini-me's and its quite a challenge to find the time...my fav is when my bachelor-ass friends complain about not having enough spare time to work on their s***...ha! sissies!
Hillchop

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

NateDogg wrote:
Really cool, and I don't really care for that style of bike, I think the contraption factor is really what I'm loving most, Im into making weird stuff just for fun. Anyway, I would wait till you have it all together to decide on the pipes, I think you may have enough brand new shiny stuff that the unfinished pipes might be a nice contrast. Sort of like those bikes with new wheels and tires, freshly painted frame and polished out motor, topped off by a beat up tank and fender...just have to see. BTW rookie dad, I got number 4 coming in July!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

number 4??? congrats!...but hell, i was just saying how the whole spare time factor really goes down when you have yourself a lil guy...how do you find time with 3 1/2??? pardon my language, but you must have to do your wrenchin on the shitter!!
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 9, 2009, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

my keyboard needs a kleenex!!!! Nice work man.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12