650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > new noise after gear4 installation

new noise after gear4 installation
    Forum Index -> Engine
camoweasel

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 10:58 pm    Post subject: new noise after gear4 installation

After I reinstalled a new gear 4 to cure my irratic starter, I noticed a new grinding noise once everything was back together. What it sounds like is the gear engaging perfectly but when I let off the button the gear is still spinning against something because its not fully disengaged. The starter grabs everytime but everytime I let go it sounds like the gear is fully disengaged and still grinding? Is this a normal sound after installing a new Mikes XS starter repair kit or is their something wrong?
grizld1

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

Definitely not normal. Check the position of the wishbone clip.

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

last time I saw it before the clutch basket went over top of it, it was just right of the old slot right where the picture says it should be. Who knows maybe it moved?
camoweasel

PostPosted: June 25, 2007, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

would that be most likely cause of this grinding noise?
mikeava

PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

mine is doing the exact same thing after new 4th gear kit installed?!?!? did you look at the clip was it in a differant location?

and looking at the old gear it seems to be only chewed on the edge, is this what will become of my new gear too?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

Need to take the wishbone spring off the gear and squeeze it in a vice at the protruded end to tighten the spring some.....seems to stop the hanging on starter thing and corrects engagement ......fun...

after this

Timing needs to be adjusted sometimes so its not fighting backwards....if it kicks you back with the kick starter pretty rough try retarding the timing just a bit........

lowered the compression on mine a bit and it really starts like a car now too.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
mikeava

PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

yeah now thats its cold out its really wanting to kickback at me, also if its out in the cold windsweeped parking lot for a few hours, the first few kicks are more "slow falls"

ok i'm going to give the clip squeeze a shot maybe, if i squeeze it enough i can fit it in its original slot?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

Again....if it's kicking back with the foot it's also kicking back with the electric start.....retard the timing a bit......when they kick backwards it can force the starter gear to back out sometimes and re-enguage beating the heck out of it...tighter wishbone and correct timing helps this situation.....I also think they run a little better retarded ........10-40 oil in this cold weather....

God am I glad my CR is 8-1 now.....it starts and runs so much better "for me" now especially with the one way breather valve I designed.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

Here's a link that explains starter spring tension.
650wiki.org/index.php/...roblem_fix
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

believe it or not ... throw the spring away! The centrifugal force throws the gear back out and will never engage the starter gear once the engine starts. Its in the 'garage' ... but I've been scared to try it eeeeek!
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

jimmer.....Gotta give people credit that aren't afraid of a test........maybe take the plugs out and crank it to see what it sounds like....don't have one in my hand but I think that wishbone is what holds the gear retracted compresing the larger round spring....could end up permanently engaged......???

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
mikeava

PostPosted: December 10, 2008, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

can i change the timeing with the stock 80' electronic ignition
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 10, 2008, 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: new noise after gear4 installation

Yea....Put a mark on the pickip coil and the stator plate with a small file for future timing reference.....then grind off the factory break off studs (screws) that hold the pickup coil to the stator.....the studs (screws) are thredded into the stator and after you grind them and remove the pickup coil ther will be some stud sticking out.....grab with some vise grips and unscrew them and replace with regular metric screws .....the stator is thredded and the screws are the same thread as others on the stator......get some at a hardware store.....moving the timing about 1/8" retard seems to be about right........some say more but that's about were I put mine .....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1