650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Hi from Alberta, Canada

Hi from Alberta, Canada
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Gypsijoker

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 3:51 am    Post subject: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Hey everyone,
I just got my chopper/ bobber/ whatever they're called nowadays on the road and was hoping to pick the brains of a few people who are wiser than me when it comes to these little machines we all love so much. This is my first xs and I'm pretty sure it won't be my last, so I've got a bit of learning ahead of me. Thanx in advance, -Jason

bike von small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.76 KB
 Viewed:  4218 Time(s)

bike von small.jpg

bike 2 small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.05 KB
 Viewed:  4218 Time(s)

bike 2 small.jpg

bike 1 small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.64 KB
 Viewed:  4220 Time(s)

bike 1 small.jpg

Last edited by Gypsijoker on June 13, 2007, 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Gypsijoker

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Sorry about the size of the pic, I'll have to pay more attention to that in the future
Xumi

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Sweet ride! Looks like you did a beautiful job. Very Happy
'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
Gypsijoker

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Thanx, it was one of those 2 month projects that lasted 14 months and is still not quite "finished" Laughing . I still have a few plans for it, but for now I just want to ride the thing.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Your bike has a real good look to it. Does it drive as well as you had hoped........steering/braking etc.
I'm working on a 78 SE and hope to have it on the road in a few more weeks.
Where is Coaldale? I live in Calgary but I don't know the rest of the province to well. (Moved out from Ontario a few years back)
Photo Gallery
jasonrmorrow

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Hey from Calgary...

I'm doing up a cafe racer styled bike...i have a quick question about your throttle, what is it ??

I've been trying to find a narrower throttle only housing ( no switches) that will work with the 90* metal elbow that the xs's have.

I'm running mikuni roundslide carbs and right now i've got it mocked up and i have to cut almost an inch off the throttle/grip in order to fit the bulky stock throttle housing and switches and the master cylinder.

Let me know please. Thanks

Ps How's the hardtail ?? I wanted to do a bobber but i figured a cafe with minimal frame mods would be best for a first bike project and i just got htis bike a month and a half ago, i wanna ride this summer...but i know i'll have a bobber in the future.
Gypsijoker

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Hey guys,
Let's see, where do I start, First off, Coaldale is just under 10 minutes out of Lethbridge which is 2 hours south of Calgary.
The bike steers really decent on the road but with the wide tank its a bit of a chore to maneuver around when you're just pushing it or at really slow speeds. The braking still leaves a bit to be desired. I plan on upgrading my master cylinder and I need to adjust my rear brake cable. I really want to clean up the bars with a smaller master and I plan on going to foot clutch/hand shift.
I think the hardtail rides just fine for me, I had to put some taller seat springs on though ( the wifes cooking has put me over the 200 lb mark :roll:) But honestly I find the ride to be quite comfortable.
The throttle is actually a motocross throttle I picked up at TJ's cycle right there in Calgary. There is one small problem with it though, There is no provision for the retainer clamp that holds the throttle cable in. I have not had a problem with it as of yet but would recommend getting a cable for a Honda Throttle as it has the provision for the threaded end that the Honda's have.
As for switches I found a cool little switch that has horn / kill / headlight hi lo on Ebay try looking up the "Tricon" switch. You need to run relays with it though.
I think my next project will be a cafe style bike, just have to find a cheap bike i can bring home and hide in the backyard for a while so the wife dont see it. Laughing
I'll try to get some more pics up right away
-Jason
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Can't really see the front disk but I am assuming it is a later model....A bunch better brakes can be had by finding a slotted disk on ebay from a later model xs1100 ...almost doubles the braking and gets rid of the squeeling too..... 180031051882.....

xs850 fronts fit on the rear....

John

slotted brakes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.01 KB
 Viewed:  4206 Time(s)

slotted brakes.jpg

Last edited by xsjohn on June 13, 2007, 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

I have a question why does almost every chop and bobber I see on the earlier models run the forks reversed. the calipers are suppose to be in front of the fork. get better braking ? or just convenience

kyle
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Not so.......In the back...

John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

what's the reason?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Maybe just looks better.......Or that's just the way they did it.....

John
Photo Gallery
Gypsijoker

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

With the xs1100 brake rotor, do I have to change the caliper also? Will the later model caliper fit on the earlier forks? The bike is a 75 model. I would rather go with the newer caliper anyways as I kind of have my eye on the little slim line master cylinder at Mikesxs which has the smaller cylinder size for the newer caliper.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Not sure about 75 model....I took a closer look at the 75's on your bike and I dont think they are the same. ... Lots of Holes will do the same thing.....

John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

if you have a spacer made, the rotor from fj 1200 will fit. gives the full floating rotor with drilled disk. should be able to pick one up cheep. I have a set from 1989 I am goignt o run once I get the spacers cut.

just another option
Photo Gallery
jasonrmorrow

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

Jason,

Is it a yamaha style motocross throttle ?? The problem is I would need a 2-1 cable to work with whatever throttle...honda/yamaha/british then go into a Mikuni Roundslide end. Does tj's have something like that. He said he can custom build a cable for me but it may take one day or two weeks depending on how much work he has.
Gypsijoker

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada

jasonrmorrow wrote:
Jason,

Is it a yamaha style motocross throttle ?? The problem is I would need a 2-1 cable to work with whatever throttle...honda/yamaha/british then go into a Mikuni Roundslide end. Does tj's have something like that. He said he can custom build a cable for me but it may take one day or two weeks depending on how much work he has.

I also have the roundslide carbs on my bike with a cable I got from Mikesxs.com, but I think that the throttle is for a honda as it has the threaded end on it, Cyclexchange.net has the roundslide kit for Honda's so I would guess you could get the 2-1 cable from them.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1