650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Rear Hub wont stay centered

Rear Hub wont stay centered
    Forum Index -> Drive
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Took the rear wheel off to do some work and when I put it back on I can't get it to stay centered in the guides that the hub has. I'll get it centered, take it for a test spin and about 20yds down the road I hear it rubbing come back and its off set again. Photo of it attached where you can see the gap on the dust cover is up tight on the back side and about 1/8" open on the front.

axle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.47 KB
 Viewed:  7353 Time(s)

axle.jpg

Last edited by westcoastchi on June 14, 2007, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Maybe a shot wheel bearing on that side......

John
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Can you put it on the center stand and move the rear wheel? If it is a wheel bearing, the wheel will have play from top to bottom. Are you torquing the rear wheel correctly? This will also let it shift. Is the spacer on the opposite side worn any?
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

When I put it on the center stand the rear wheel spins freely, unless it's really off centered from a test ride. I'll adjust and re-center and it spins fine. I put in new wheel bearings as part of the re-build, maybe I messed up the wheel bearing on this side (drive gear side). I can spin that bearing with my hand pretty freely when the wheel is off and axle is out. When I torque the axle nut down I do it with the bike on the center stand (rear wheel off the ground) and hand hold it centered. Is that correct?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Is there anything loose like does the axle fit the inside of the bearing correctly. Hard to imagine the dust cover being off center to the hub if the bearing is correct size,,,,?? Am I seeing your picture with the dust cover off center.....

John
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Yep, that's the dust cover off centered and if you look you can see some shavings on the chain from the test rides. I bring it back in the garage, line it back up take it for another test spin and 50 ft down the road hear the squeal of metal again. Is there a spacer that is supposed to go on the gear side?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

No more test rides until you solve this bearing problem please.......Correct bearing on that side woud be good...Since you changed the bearings what is waiting on the other side....?

Photoshop or simular program will allow you to size photos and crop......

John
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Put new bearings from Mikes in on both sides of the front and rear rim. Going to take the rear wheel / axle / etc off again and try to see what's what.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Is it possible that maybe the axle is broken............a bit hard to believe, but never say never??
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

I used a wood block and ball peen hammer to "press" the bearing. Looks like it only worked on 3 out of the 4 bearings I put in this way. I'll order a new bearing from Mike's and try it again with a bearing press this time.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 15, 2007, 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Should always push the bearings in from the outer race.......Like with a socket or same......

John
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: June 15, 2007, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Use these manual pages to find a picture or description of the rear bearing assembly.

www.650motorcycles.com/manuals.html

There is a tube like spacer that goes inside the hub between the bearings so the axle tightens on the inner bearing race. Did you remember to install that inner spacer?

Tom Graham
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 15, 2007, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

There is an inner spacer that is within the hub but it's short of actually touching each bearing race. My Clymer doesn't show that I'm missing anything but in all honesty there was a few beer involved in the re-assembly process and I do have a small spacer about a 1/2" thick that looks like a smaller version of the spacer that goes on the brake side of the drum. I'll check the other manual to see if they have a different drawing / parts list.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 15, 2007, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

I'm geting worried now......

John
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 17, 2007, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Took the rear wheel off again and the center part of the bearing does look squashed in. I'll bang this one out and then be more careful on installing the new one when it comes in.

rear bearing.jpg
 Description:
 Filename:  rear bearing.jpg
 Filesize:  371.88 KB
 Downloaded:  600 Time(s)
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 24, 2007, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Banged out the old bearing and found that the "collar" on the drive side was missing. In my Clymer manual it's Part 17. on the exploded view. Searched the garage/workbench and nothing, it's not there.

I've got a parts bike with a 1 piece mag wheel and looking at the Haynes manual exploded view it also has a "collar" on the drive side, part #6.

y question is, before I tear apart the parts bike rear hub to canibalize it does any one know if the "collars" are interchangeable?
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: June 27, 2007, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Well, I know why I couldn't find the collar/spacer. Took the parts bike apart, by knocking out the bearing on the drive gear side. Once the bearing was out I took a look at it an low and behold, there on the inside bearing race where the axle shaft goes through was the collar/spacer.

I must have not noticed it when I put in new bearings on my bike and tossed the spacer out with the old bearing. Old bearings sat on the work bench for about 4-5 months before I decided to "clean" and toss them.

Going to work on putting the axle/hub system back together tonight.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 29, 2007, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

How did it turn out? Are you riding again? If you ever have to replace the bearings again, you'll know. Let us know.
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: July 1, 2007, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

rides fine but now I don't have power going to my tail light...it's always something.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 1, 2007, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub wont stay centered

Yes, yes it is always something. Finding that one out the hard way. You have to love riding, and working on these things.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1