650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > updated elctric stater gears etc

updated elctric stater gears etc
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Ronnie

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 6:06 pm    Post subject: updated elctric stater gears etc

I recently replaced the old starter gear and clip on my 75 with the beveled one and heavier clip . I thought I was all done with problems, cranked fine when needed , but it seems the new clip has fallen off as it now sounds like a bucket of bolts when I use it. Anyone have any similar experiece ? Everything looked to be in excellent shape? Thanks, Cranky
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: updated elctric stater gears etc

I have heard that all the old yamaha starters sound like that. Was using my kick starter all the time for fear that my starter was bad till someone told me his buddies old Yamaha with a brand new starter sounded like that.
Photo Gallery
Ronnie

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: updated elctric stater gears etc

I replaced the gear and clip with a new one because the starter wasn't engaging, found the wish-bone shaped clip off. Had bought the updated one earlier thinking it woul be a permanent fix. I was nice and quiet for a few months, now somethings come undone judging by the racket. Louder than the way it was on my 73 xs wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in 1973! Thanks
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: updated elctric stater gears etc

Found this picture showing where they recommend putting the tab of the wishbone....

John

bendixclipgroove.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.69 KB
 Viewed:  2406 Time(s)

bendixclipgroove.jpg

Photo Gallery
Ronnie

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: updated elctric stater gears etc

Yup , have seen that , and did it. The new clip is too wide to fit in the original position, heavier wire. I'm thinking it may not be matched to the new gear right? I SEEM to remember it seemed too heavy to really sit deeply in the groove in the new gear. I wonder if there might be 2 versions of the new gear? One for the thinner original clip and one with a wider deeper groove for the new larger gauge clip? Bought the kit on Ebay ! Thanks
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: updated elctric stater gears etc

Bought mine on ebay too.....Guess you will just have to stare at it and try to figure why the clip is coming off......Or replace it......

John

Last edited by xsjohn on June 12, 2007, 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Ronnie

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: updated elctric stater gears etc

John, Sounds like a plan ! Thanks for the imput ! Ronnie

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1