650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > new members seek info

new members seek info
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
stevied58

PostPosted: June 7, 2007, 11:30 am    Post subject: new members seek info

ok so the lil pup is 16 and he wants a bike so he can ride with dad and buds.We decided on a yam 650 bobber style.found a local to hard tail frame(tigman).lil pup wants a mid glide front end look.are there any metric front ends wider thn the stock yam that wont take a great time and money converting over?someone told me a old honda (yz i think) ..would do the job with no mods...is this true?
P.C. ......A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Photo Gallery
stevied58

PostPosted: June 7, 2007, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: new members seek info

also i thought the yz s were yams too dirt bikes that most hondas had a c? for thier models..im not that familiar with foriegn bikes so any help and guidance is greatly appreciated
P.C. ......A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 7, 2007, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: new members seek info

Most any front end other than an xs, you will have to modify to work on the bike. I guess you would have to pick one, and modify yourself, or try a shop that does mods, and ask them how much to install.
Photo Gallery
stevied58

PostPosted: June 7, 2007, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: new members seek info

thank you for the reply...are the honda front ends alittle wider than the yamaha?
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 7, 2007, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: new members seek info

I believe that most of the older bikes are going to have a pretty standard width front end. They will vary alittle. The newer cruisers have the wider looking front ends as well as bigger forks and all. Is he just looking to run a wider front tire? Look at some of the Harley wide glide stuff, they are pretty wide.
Photo Gallery
xsfun

PostPosted: June 8, 2007, 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: new members seek info

the yz just gives you longer forks and 21" wheel , not wider , there is no bolt on fix for what your trying to do , would require mod. Here is one where tigman put a harley front end on an XS www.650motorcycles.com...yDPoh.html .
stevied58

PostPosted: June 9, 2007, 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: new members seek info

nice..thanks..2nd question...since we ll have the motor out of the frame ill crack it open and take a peek and replace what needs to be replaced...anything i should keep my eyes open for or any factory parts that werent up to par even when it was new?
I also heard the charging systems suck this true?

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: June 9, 2007, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: new members seek info

Front cam chain guide. Even if it looks good, check to see that the rubber strip isn't coming unbonded from the aluminum. Due to their age, I think I would replace it even if it was good. If there's 20K or more on the motor, I'd replace the cam chain as well. Mine was toast.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1