650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Why a XS650?

Why a XS650?
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
keelbolts

PostPosted: June 2, 2007, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Why a XS650?

Hi,
First off, let me assure you I'm not trolling here. After about 30 years away from bikes, I had a mid-life crisis flair up around the end of last year and bought a '92 BMW R100RS in January. I love it. It's one of the last 150 R100RS airheads sent to the US, Australia, and Canada. As it was built at the same time as the early K bikes, it combines K bike brakes and suspension with airhead simplicity.
Now to why I posted the question. I'm already starting to see that one bike isn't enough. I like older bikes - 70s or so. The Hondas seem to be stodgier than my Beemer and tend to be more expensive than comparable bikes. The GSs are inexpensive, handle better, and, enginewise, are reported to be absolutely bullet-proof. Unfortunately, I can't convince myself I like the looks of them. As "the bike the British would have built if they could have," the XS 650 is very attractive to me. One of my buds had a Triumph and one a Norton when I was riding years ago.

So, why a XS650? How do they handle? How hard are parts to find? How's the engine & tranny? I thank you up front for your time.

Last edited by keelbolts on June 3, 2007, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ttmaniac

PostPosted: June 2, 2007, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

Here's why the maniac loves the xs in one word or less....Torque.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 2, 2007, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

Cheap numerous and some what reliable if beaten correctly into existence......

John
Photo Gallery
natek1977
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 2, 2007, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

Handling! I can just about out manuever any one of my buddies on their crotchrockets..... and also, like ttmaniac said.... Torque! Loads of torque. When shes running up to par, she's a ripper off the line.I Take my buddies Katana 750 all day long. Of course he blows by me at about 60, but it's not always about the top end! LOL. In all seriousness-- Get one! You'll love it!
Nate
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

Ive had no end of Triumphs & Nortons over the years & the XS pisses all over 'em both in reliability & performance!
If you pull up at a bike meet on an XS here in the UK you'll probably get more people hanging around your bike than the Brit twins (unless its something really special) Wink
...Good thing about the XS is that I still get the same buzz as I did years ago on the Trumpets but I know I will arive at my destination without having to carry an oil can or drip tray..or have to prep the bike all weekend before a 20+mile ride Twisted Evil
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

Prep the bike all weekend for a 20 mile ride, i hear ya on that one. I got a 68 bonneville t120, it isnt quite that bad, but still it wont stay in tune like an xs650. Ive only rode it three or four times since i built my street tracker. The xs does have alot more torque than the 120 does. But, on the other hand the triumph is a collectors item, it collects dust in the back of my shop.
Photo Gallery
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

At this point, one of the huge reasons to go with it is the amazing online community that exists for the XS. Info readily available and lots of really super folks around for support.
Plus its just the most basic UJM around. A few years ago a friend gave me a motorcycle wrench text book, from when she was in wrench school, and the bike used for the illustrations for most of the procedures (tho not named) was exactly like an XS650!
XS650 is motorcycle.
If there were going to be a time capsule and UJM needed to go into it, about a 77 or 78 standard would fit the bill quite well, I think.

The worst thing, for me about the XS is that at the rpm needed to do interstate type speeds (with anything close to stock gearing) you get some pretty hideous vibes.

But if you can forget that the super-slab exists, the XS650 *is* very much motorcycle.

An excellent bike to learn wrenching on. There are a few mysteries, but mostly its a bike most people can (with a little help from yer friends) figure out.

PLus its kind of a Barbie doll or a GI Joe of a bike - you can dress it all different ways.

He can be an Army man one week and the next week (or year) he can don scuba frogman stuff and do that!

A true karma chameleon of motorcycles!
Smile
Aunty Em
Tampa FL
ps plus they accelerate quite quickly...feels like a 14 to 15 second bike...
its no dog as far as acceleration
keelbolts

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

xsjohn,
"somewhat reliable" worries me a bit. Is that anything like somewhat pregnant? I guess total reliability is not to be found anywhere, but how reliable is somewhat reliable?

Emzdogz,
I have heard about the vibration, but, from what I gather, that's to be expected with a twin. My Beemer is just the thing for long rides at high speed. For a second bike to make any sense at all, it would have to scratch some other itch. I'm thinking something smaller - a XS650 perhaps?
beys

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

keelbolts wrote:
xsjohn,
"somewhat reliable" worries me a bit. Is that anything like somewhat pregnant? I guess total reliability is not to be found anywhere, but how reliable is somewhat reliable?

We are talking about bikes that are minimum 25 year old, and XS are reliable as a 25 year old bike can be.
y XSes are in good condition of service and I wouldn't be afraid to get out for 1000-mile trip tomorrow. But you have to look after as you have to with a 25-year-old BMW as well!

Z TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

Had mine 9 years and never left me anywhere in 39,700 yet........Wouldn't want to go any farther than one exit with stock gearing though......

John
Photo Gallery
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

keelbolts wrote:
xsjohn,
"Emzdogz,
I have heard about the vibration, but, from what I gather, that's to be expected with a twin. My Beemer is just the thing for long rides at high speed. For a second bike to make any sense at all, it would have to scratch some other itch. I'm thinking something smaller - a XS650 perhaps?

yeah if you've already got a slab bike, the XS is a really neat 2nd bike.
That's the role it fills for me. I have an SV650 that is my main "rider", one I don't mess with. The XS (for me) is a good one to mess with. Altho they can be a good main bike too - not saying it can't.
Smile
Em
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Why a XS650?

Hey Keelbolts,

I was a lot like you -- got back into motorcycles after a many-year absense. But unlike you, my first bike, after coming back to the fold, was an XS650. Definitely scratched an itch, plus it has been a hoot to ride, is reasonably trouble free for a 26yo machine, and easy to work on. As others here have mentioned, it is not the most comfortable for mile-eating jaunts on the superslab, though. I scratched that itch with first one, then two BMWs -- the first was a lot like yours, an '88 R100RS. The 2nd was a '76 R90/6. I love 'em both. But there is still something endearing about the old XS -- more smiles per mile than any other bike I've ridden.

One of the great things about the XS650 is the network the exists. There is an extensive internet-based XS650 community. Examples are this forum, the XS650 Garage (another forum), and the Yam650 mailing list, as well as the xs650twin forum at Yahoo, although the latter is attended mostly by folks from England. For parts, there's Mikesxs.com, 650central.com, and, of course, eBay -- as well as direct sources that can be found by interacting with other members of the community.

Oh, and let's not leave out one important reason for the XS650's popularity -- they're cheap (because they're still plentiful). More smiles for the dollar than any other bike I know of.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1