650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New to the whole 650 scene :)

New to the whole 650 scene :)
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
CanadaDan

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 6:52 pm    Post subject: New to the whole 650 scene :)

I just picked up a 74 650 last night. This is destined to be my fiances ride as I have too many years invested in my airhead.

y site is all about me and my beemer... but as soon as I start wrenching on the 650 I'll likely set up a site for that as well.

The plan is to cafe it to a degree with out going too radical on the bars or controls. This is going to be her first bike so I don't thing clip-ons and rear-sets are going to be appropriate Laughing

I'll likely be asking a lot of stupid questions as I have been pretty focused on Mojo til now... but she's pretty much done and the 650 needs my attention!

Here's the bike now...

And here's the PhotoShop of the target (we were getting a 71 until this 74 came along)
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the whole 650 scene :)

welcome got a 74 myself, first thing to do is pull all the electrical connectors and put some di-electric grease on them, the wiring itself is easier than the later models check my photo album (jayels album) for a colored wiring dia., bike looks pretty clean hows it run? front brake ok? weak points are electric (cheesy connectors) loose ball bearing front fork, plastic rear fork bushing, good points healthy motors 43 bhp/40.1 ft lbs. @7000rpm, easy to work on, simple design
CanadaDan

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the whole 650 scene :)

Very Happy

Did I forget to mention the PO spent $2500 having a local guru restore this bike... with no paint? I paid him less than half that. We're both members of the Antique Motorcycle Club of Manitoba and he needed to thin his herd of bikes he can't ride due to diabeties (hands numb easily)

The only thing other than the paint that is un-touched is the seat cover.

All I have to do is the cosmetic and performance mods so it's as pretty as it's intended rider Cool

I haven't gotten the list of work done yet but I would expect that everything is done... and hopefully they put in proper bronze bushings in the swing arm (is it bronze or is that the Honda's?)

This is one of those amazing deals that comes up once in a blue moon. I think I thought about it while my hand was reachig out to shake on the deal Laughing

I do appreciate the heads up on the trouble spots... anything else I should be looking for (assuming that mechanically this bike is A1)?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 31, 2007, 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: New to the whole 650 scene :)

looks like you may have drippy carbs, if it runs ok a couple of new bowl gaskets and new fuel lines wouldn't hurt, unless the tank and fuel valves are totally clean put on some paper type fuel filters, I changed my fuel petcocks side to side to get clearance, (jayels album)

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1