650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Speedo head question,

Speedo head question,
    Forum Index -> Drive
billc

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Speedo head question,

My speedo head has had the number face plate loose under the glass for some time now.I can see the screw's are loose.I have took the head off and looked at it,even took the trim off,but it looks like the only way to tighten them is to remove the glass by bending metal edge up on head,is this correct or I'm I missing something?Thanks
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

billc: You're right. I also had a loose screw ( in my speedo, not my head Laughing ). Its not easy but you can use a small screwdriver to slowly work your way around the metal edge. I nicked my fingers a few times but the effort is worth while. When done its easier to bend the metal back down again.
Photo Gallery
billc

PostPosted: May 29, 2007, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

Thanks for the imput,I should have mentioned I have a 72.It looked like the way but I wasn't sure.Didn't want to chance breaking the glass if there was no need to remove it.Looks like there's a rubber ring under the glass for water tightness.Any moisture problem,s after reassembly?
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 29, 2007, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

My bike is a 78SE. The glass face is tight against the metal outer ring. I can't say about moisture, the bike is still a work in progress with many pieces scattered on workbenches.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

Bill, they usually seal up well when the bezel's recrimped. One of Don Lawson's tricks is to cut the lower lip of the bezel in a few spots with a Dremel tool to relieve it; takes less pressure to uncrimp and recrimp, less chance of deforming it.

After three instrument failures this season (two tachs and a speedo), I finally gave up on the old instruments and went to an Acewell electronic tach/speedo after pricing a pair of NOS clocks--holy sticker shock!

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

grizld1,thanks for the input,Got her all back together again and in use at the time.Next time I park her for a couple of days I think that speedo going to get repaired.That face gets to jumpin around a lot.If I don't almost for sure that screw will end up down inside and do something that can't be repaired.
Photo Gallery
rwreed

PostPosted: May 31, 2007, 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

I too am in the process of repairing my speedo. Is there any hints on trip meter knob removal or just alot of pulling?

I alos need (for reassembly) the big soft spongey gaskets between the units and the housings. Mine are not fitting tightly anymore. I tried 650Central, Mike's and 650parts. Any other sources to try?

Thanks,
Slim

Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2007, 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

If I remember correctly, the trip odometer knob has a left hand thread which means you need to turn to the right to remove it.
Photo Gallery
billc

PostPosted: June 1, 2007, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo head question,

rwreed,as far as how your trip meter knob comes off I'am not sure.I mostly play around with early models.Their kknobs are held on with a tiny screw.As far as parts go here in Pa. you might give Speed and Sport a call,They are located in Bloomsburg,Pa.phone#570-784-6831,they are a old Yamaha dealer and have a lot of old parts,they also have a web site.Believe me they know how to charge for those old parts but when you need it's better than no part. Maybe I'll see you on the road some day,My red and white 72 and I get around.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1