650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > Webcam grind #59

Webcam grind #59
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
camoweasel

PostPosted: May 25, 2007, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Webcam grind #59

Does anyone here have any comments on the Webcam grind #59? This is not the 59a which requires high performance valve springs. The reason why I ask is because I am thinking about tearing down my 74 TX650A because every gasket leaks real bad. While the motor was to be torn down I was thinking about hopping it up with a simple cam swap which requires no mods or other parts needed. With this cam would I need to rejet my carbs and how much power would I expect with a this cam swap? Also does anyone here know how much one is? Webcam doesn't advertise their prices. Thank you.
Cooltouch

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Webcam grind #59

I had Webcam put the 59 grind on a cam for my 277 rephase project. This was a couple years ago, cuz the project got set aside due to other commitments. In other words, I don't have any performance data to pass along. According to the Webcam folks, though, the 59 cam is a very "streetable" grind. Enhanced performance throughout the power band without sacrificing much in the way of low-end torque. I don't know what the numbers are for the stock cam, but I suspect Webcam is accomplishing the improvements mostly by increasing the lift without modifying the duration too much.

As for price, it was pretty reasonable. I don't recall the exact price at the moment, but I know it was less than $150. Seems like it was around $109, but don't hold me to that number.

Incidentally, even though Webcam calls it a "regrind" it isn't a regrind the way most other shops regrind cams. Most cam regrinders offset the center of the lobe circle to achieve higher lift (usually requiring thicker adjustment shims or increased adjustment range of adjustment screws). Webcam takes the existing cam and grinds all the old lobe material off, rewelds new material onto the cam then grinds it down to the new spec. The resulting cam looks brand new.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1