650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

"Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 8:33 am    Post subject: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Hi,

I have heard people talking about "chopper" wiring on XS650 forums.
One thread in particular with references to loosing unwanted weight for racing etc.

Does anyone have a good effective way of doing this ? Are there any known diagrams etc?

And would using an electronic boyer ignition be a stumbling point?

As usual...any help GRATEFULLY received Smile
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Jake, Jake, Jake.....I've been ranting on this subject all week. I run a Boyer ignition (blue box) with "chopper" wiring. Screw the "chopper" wiring diagram.

It's like this...Take a large hammer, smash turn signals off and cut out the wires you trace from them. Take the entire fusebox, place it under large hammer and pound. Replace it with one blade style 25 amp fuse in line with the main red power wire (before ignition switch). Remove, smash, and dispose of properly, all dumb warning light switches, gauge lights, etc.

If your bike is already working properly, just trace out any BS you don't want and cut the wires. Yank them out of the loom and boom, you have "chopper" wiring.

As you can see, I have a strong distaste for the mega loom that runs through this bike. I encourage you to use your haynes manual and trace out carefully any crud you don't want. When you finish, you should only have a couple wires running up the backbone to the headlight (assuming you go all out).

I've been encouraging people to avoid "chopper" wiring diagram schemes. Someone is probably mad at me but they are the guy trying to rake people over. Out of everything I did with my bike I always felt the proudest about my electrical wiring cause I took the time to figure it out myself. Believe me, before that I couldn't wire a light bulb in series if I tried. I literally knew s*** about electrics. You've got it made if you already got the stock loom rolling. Just go slow and remove what you don't want, leaving nothing but your "chopper" wiring intact. Holler if you need help.
Photo Gallery
MNCaferacer

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Don't know of any diagrams, but I recommend simplifying your harness if you're going to do it.

I can get a 76' KZ650 down to 5 wires. Very Happy When thats ALL the electrical you have its very easy to troubleshoot.... but you never need to cause it's so simple that nothing ever fails. ahaha
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

I'm just ranting about the ebay chopper wiring diagram someone is selling people. I'm mad about it now cause a bunch of guys keep talking about maybe getting it. I think I'm going to post my ownon this site for everybody to have for free.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

i agree with tt, forget chopper wiring!
Its so easy to trim dow and junk approx 50% of the original loom .
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Thanks xs1961, these guys need to hear it from somebody besides a crazy bastard like me. Whether you trim the original or rewire completely it's worth the effort. The bike becomes far more practical and functional. Less junk=less trouble.
Photo Gallery
grant

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Put it out there, tt. I'm at this very stage right now trying to decide to go back with the original box and loom or pare that mess down. I'm terrible with electrics and it would be nice to see a diagram with only essential wiring. Hep me, somebody.
Photo Gallery
grant

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Put it out there, tt. I'm at this very stage right now trying to decide to go back with the original box and loom or pare that mess down. I'm terrible with electrics and it would be nice to see a diagram with only essential wiring. Hep me, somebody.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Grant....If you have the original electronic ignition...I would keep it....you can buy spares for nothing.....Have 39,000 on my original and it hasn't missed a lick....All stock wiring...stock coil....just clean all the connections and use dielectric grease and enjoy.....

John
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Heres a couple of pics of the 'cut-down' wiring on my '77 XS.Single fuse under r/h side panel...
Bare minimum required in the headlamp...
Hidden ignition switch under headlamp bowl...
I apologise in advance if they've come out a bit on the LARGE side... Embarassed

xsxs 007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.61 KB
 Viewed:  18745 Time(s)

xsxs 007.jpg

xsxs 008.jpg
 Description:
 Filename:  xsxs 008.jpg
 Filesize:  212.78 KB
 Downloaded:  800 Time(s)

xsxs 005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.66 KB
 Viewed:  18744 Time(s)

xsxs 005.jpg

Last edited by xs1961 on May 20, 2007, 4:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Damnit....I did upload 3 photos but they must've been a yard wide so had to edit them out ! how do I get em smaller on here ?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Photoshop or turn you camera down to a lesser resolution.....

John
Photo Gallery
grant

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

I did see a recent entry on 650 mc's.com of a nice and neat looking diagram with turn signals too. Has anyone else seen it and if so what are your opinions. Thanks, Grant
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

OK,pics are on,scroll back up the page a tad....
Photo Gallery
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

This whole post is bringing a tear to my eye.
If you can't make your own diagram you can get them for nothing and edit as required, just go to
www.650motorcycles.com...yKilo.html
Don't pay money for this stuff.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

More diagrams at
www.cyclepsycho.com/ya...wires.html
This is the internet-remember? Everything is out there somewhere.... just gotta find it.
Some stock diagrams at:
www.650motorcycles.com...atics.html
Have fun, and simplify things. A lot.

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Thanks, gs. That'll work.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Cheers guys, I only went a way for a day and its all there !

e thinks if you follow the point ignition diagram and "mate" that with the boyer installation instructions you are there.

Last edited by Jake68 on May 20, 2007, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Gs thank you....I really don't wanna draw a diagram out. Next time I see you I'll buy you a beer. I seriously would wire anybodys xs for cheap if you are in the tampa bay area. To me these bikes are as classic as that vintage triumph or BSA but better. To see one going down the road always makes me happy. To see one burning rubber makes me laugh like hell!!!
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

I'll drink to that ! Wink
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Chopper" Wiring with Boyer Bransden Ignition?

Sheeett...I was all worried about nothin' its a peice of p_ss ! Smile

Drink to that one too Lee Smile
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1