650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Jumps out of gear?

Jumps out of gear?
    Forum Index -> Drive
alee

PostPosted: May 12, 2007, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Jumps out of gear?

I have '78 xs. When taking off in first gear the bike begins to accelerate and then the transmission slips badly (just like it's out of gear) and then grabs hold again when lettting off on the gas. It will do this with very little load on the motor. All other gears work fine. I thought it may have been a clutch problem but replaced the disks and springs. Didn't help.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 12, 2007, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

ALEE:....If it is not the clutch slipping then it sounds like a bent shift fork. Does it make a bunch of racket then the slippng occurs....Fixed a lot of shift fork hassels and they usually made a vulgar grinding type racket.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
alee

PostPosted: May 13, 2007, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

John, it doesn't make any grinding noise. How do I check the shifting fork? thanks for the help.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 13, 2007, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

Thought about that a few times today....Maybe someone else can offer a better scenario....My 77 made some weird noises sometimes in first but didn't slip like you described.....The shift drum is turned by the arm on the shifter shaft that needs to be aligned in the center or it may not being going all the way into first...Seens like it would mess up other gears though if not aligned correctly...The detent on top of the case under the carbs may not be holding the shift drum correctly...But acutally I don't think that is it....To check the shift forks you have to remove the engine and turn it upside down and remove the bottom...Gosh I wish someone else could offer some better scenario...Havn't had that problem with mine yet yet but have fixed a few that did.....Might ask around maybe someone knows better...Let me know......

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 14, 2007, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

Sounds like a clutch to me. Did you scuff the steels when you put it back together? Did you soak the clutch plates in oil before installing? Did you use an impact driver on the springs? Maybe these are dumb questions but having to go into that bottom is a royal pain when all you wanna do is ride.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2007, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

Does it only do it in first gear? When my clutches went bad, it slipped in all gears. Did you readjust the clutch actuator? If this isn't correctly adjusted, it will feel like the clutch is slipping also as it won't let the clutch fully engage.
Photo Gallery
alee

PostPosted: May 14, 2007, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

I have scuffed the plates and soaked the plates for 2-3 hours. The clutch does not slip in any of the other gears. It almost feels like a gear is slipping on a shaft and then reengages. When putting the bike into first gear, it has the regular "clunk" which seems to indicate that it is going into gear properly. I also have adjusted the actuator multiple times. Thanks for the feedback guys. Al
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 14, 2007, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

Fixed lot of shift forks in Fla in the60's, 70's and 80"s. Under cut the dogs so they won't pull apart or replace the gears and straighten or replaced the shift fork.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: May 15, 2007, 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jumps out of gear?

Are there any warped steele plates? Look real close and if can lay them on a flat surface. Also check and make sure there are no ripples in the plates. This will show up in first gear and with a modified engine 2nd and possibly third gear do to the torq transfered to the final drive. Check the hub too. I have ridden these machines hard and have never had a fork problam with them, "doesent mean that they dont have them" I just havent seen it on any of these trainnys. I have on other models.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1