650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > speedometer correction

speedometer correction
    Forum Index -> Drive
camoweasel

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 1:56 am    Post subject: speedometer correction

Has anybody else hear noticed how the speedometers on these bikes were generally off by about 10 mph? I don't know the official correction rate but I do know that at 65 mph I am really going about 55 mph. I do not know how this would hold true at higher speeds? The reason I ask is because the other day traffic was really flowing on the interstate and my speedometer was showing me speeds of 90-100 mph. I was wondering if anybody hear knew the correction rate for speeds these fast? My tach was between 5000-5500 rpms in 5th gear.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

Friend followed me on the express in his ford truck for a couple of miles I was going 65 and so was he........

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

My tach is about 4K at 63 MPH. I do have the 18T front sprocket, and the 34 rear. My speedo only goes to 85, so after that it is a blur. Tach is around 6K when burying the needle.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

speedo is front wheel driven, tire/rim size on the front would be the only thing to affect it, gearing won't
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

Strewth , your speedo must be faulty,I know the jap instruments arent the most accurate but I dont think any of my XS speedos were out by more than 5% !
I run a non-standard 18" front wheel on my bikes (rear rims,so I can use drum-brakes) and even then my speedo is only reading 4mph out at 60!
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

One way to check accuracy, at least the odometer but usually applies to speed readings as well, is to check and see how close the reading is to the highway mile markers. According to one local police department last year mine was reading 15 miles an hour slower than my actual. What makes it evenmore magical is the F-350 Dually truck passing me was going 5 MPH slower than me according to the fine police officer. Logic wasn't one of his strong points!
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

important to remember a dry dragging cable or drive gear at the wheel will slow your speedo down giving inaccurate reading, oil the cable and drive gear
camoweasel

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

It just seems as if I am going slower then what the speedo reads. My front tire size is 100/90-19.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 10, 2007, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

Hey jayel what do use to lube the cable and drive gear?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 11, 2007, 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

something like 3 in 1 (light oil) for the cable to wet it, then cover it with grafhite powder (doesn't get gummy when cold) drive unit a good moly or lithium grease works well
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2007, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: speedometer correction

jayel... you seem to know your bikes inside and out if your ever in the cedar rapids area drop me a line.. would greatly appreiciate someone giving me a hand with my bike that seems to know what the hell the are doing... my buddies come over and stand around and watch me piss with my bike while empting my beer supply... well i help with the empting at times but it get frustrating... wise_odin @ yahoo.com

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1