650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Valve Adjustment

Valve Adjustment
    Forum Index -> Engine
rwreed

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 9:02 am    Post subject: Valve Adjustment

Hey everyone,
I'm thrilled my bike started right up last night after a long winter's nap.
I really didn't get to ride much at all last year and she was put away for the winter rather quickly.

I turned the key and saw a bright neutral light. That was good. Drained and rinsed the tank with some fresh 93 octane cause it smelled bad, even with StaBil in it. Flushed the carbs with the 93 and 2 kicks later she was purring. Ahhhh!

Ok. I want to set the valves, which I do every year. I do it cold (engine not run that day). The specks call for .002" on the intake and .006" on the exhaust. The problem is everytime I do this and when I let the dealer do it, the engine is slow to return to idle after a rev up. Almost like too much back pressure in the exhaust. I usally tighten the exhaust clearance to .005 and the slow return goes away.

Does anyone else notice this? And is it good for the engine to back down faster? I have 45K on it and (Knock on Wood) no major problems, ever.

I just think they do that for people who don't know how to shift or something. Alot of newer cars do the same thing with manual transmissions.

What do you think?

One minor issue is no tail light but the brake light works. Will investigate tonight. All other systems seem AOK!

Next is a good bath and wax job. She's almost ready for the public.
I love my bike!

Sorry there,
Happy Slim

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

I set mine at 3 and 6. Used to set intakes at 2 until I saw what happens to the valve tips on the intakes and had to replace them...figured lack of lubrication.....Trashed tips.....

John

Last edited by xsjohn on August 26, 2007, 12:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

Here's an interesting read from 650Motorcycles.com on valve lash. He seems to be saying that larger clearances are better for performance and oiling. I don't know if the average guy is going to see a big jump in performance but he will notice the noise increase for sure.

www.650motorcycles.com/isky.html

Valve adjuster tip and valve stem top wear seems common on these bikes. I think it's probably common on a lot of Yamahas that use this same design. I have an SR500 that uses the same adjusters and they show the same wear marks. I think it's the design that causes this. The small contact patch between the rounded adjuster tip and the stem moves around and changes as the valve goes through it's opening and closing motion. I'm going to try these Porsche style elephants foot adjusters. They give total contact with the stem and the "foot" fills with oil around the ball so they act sort of like a hydraulic adjuster.

xs650temp.proboards29....1176206260
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

5twins....Any chance of getting the feet in without dismantle...Don't think the rocker shafts will come out because of the studs....Iwas also wondering if the rocker arm has enough clearance for the foot portion.??

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
rwreed

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

5twins,
Definitely interested to see how you make out with this. Please keep us informed. Looks good in concept. John has a couple valid questions there.

Slim

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

I don't think so because they must be inserted from the bottom of the rocker. Some minor mods to the rocker end may be needed as detailed in the link above. I've got some ordered and should have them any day now. My motor's apart so I'll post what needs doing when I get them.
beys

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

John: We talked about this here:
www.650rider.com/Forum....html#6057

You found out something at the Mercedes dealers?

Z TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

Beys:: Never did go to the Mercedes dealer...Figured I would do it when I have to pull it down again...Also figured they would work even if the tip was somewhat pitted...Got side tracked on oil cooling.....Everything ok in Bavaria..?

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

xsjohn wrote:
Everything ok in Bavaria..?

Everything fine!
The standard is running, nevertheless I will install a point-commanded electronic ignition this WE, just to see what happens.

for the 5V4 the XJ 900 gas tank will be painted the days to come, the seat is in work,I got homologated a CBX 550 front end and an 18'' rear wheel on a RD 350 hub today ( In Germany everything has to be homologated Rolling Eyes - Thats why we lost the war Laughing ), so I hope it will be on the road within the next 3 weeks. Will post a pic when finished.

XT 500 '81
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

Yea::....We are fixing to loose a war over here too if we don't extricate some liberals fast.....they are all homologated in the loosing dirrection...

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

this is a 650XS motorcycle forum not politics, opinions may and do vary but this is not the place for them, no further comment jayel
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

Must have struck a nerve....Guess no religion and politics has always been good advice...Just can't help myself sometimes...Thought beys was trying to tell us that his mods have to be inspected but I could have misinterpreted what he said........I was in florida when they spend tens or hundreds of millions on inspection statons just to close them....The supreme court just gave the epa more control over C02 emissions...see how that pans... Al Gore looking up your tail pipe although he did invent the internet................I must watch to much news.....Sorry...

What they do will effect us cyclist....Maybe in a good way cause everyone may have to ride them to get around soon.....Watch out for granny on her 1100.....

Just having fun don't be mad at me......

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

not mad, just different opinion of the whole mess, homologated is like our DOT approved stuff, must meet certain standards to be used, you must watch faux news, true never argue religion or politics unless you're in a bar having a few beers with a bunch of strangers (end of comments, I think I really, really mean it this time)
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

Back to XS's........................Feels like im getting spanked --maybe I'm getting more liberal than I thought and starting to enjoy that sort of stuff.....Enough of this you are right......All in fun.....

....all it takes is their time and our money.....

John
Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

xsjohn wrote:
.Thought beys was trying to tell us that his mods have to be inspected...

Thats what I tried to say. Sorry got you started in the wrong direction, wasn't my intention at all!

XT 500 '81
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment

Beys: I was just looking for an excuse to show my butt...

...Not your fault.......Just having some fun I thought...

John Underwood
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1