650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New XS owner...'78 XS650E to be made into a tracker

New XS owner...'78 XS650E to be made into a tracker
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
flynn

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 1:20 am    Post subject: New XS owner...'78 XS650E to be made into a tracker

Hello everybody,

y name is Dave and I just picked up a '78 standard that I will make a tracker. Just ordered up a bunch of parts and can't wait to get them to start (too bad I found this sight after ordering as I have Mikunis on the way from SFL, doh!). Well at least I know that I need to tear the carbs apart when I get them and check all the jetting and slides.

The bike currently runs and is rideable but needs some TLC. It has an unknown brand 2 into 1 exhaust and has a unique history. The original owner was an older female who toured the bike here in the NW states and then had it shipped across the pond and toured Europe. She kept the bike until she was too old keep riding it and it was sold to a gentlmen here who gently road it alongside his son who also has a 650. The odometer is currently at 38K+ and I have the original owners manual with notes of service and mods by the original owner.

Anywho....lots of things to do with it and I'll let you all know if I needs some help. This sight looks like another great forum that I belong (check out IFSJA.org if you are into full size jeeps like Wagoneers and J-trucks).
Very Happy

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: New XS owner...'78 XS650E to be made into a tracker

Its good to see another member. You'll find the group here has a lot of usefull info and some great pictures. I'm new here also. I'm working on a 78 special to bring it back into shape.
Photo Gallery
flynn

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: New XS owner...'78 XS650E to be made into a tracker

Took her out on my maiden voyage since buying her. Threw some new grips on, put some air in the tires, and fresh gas in the tank. She rides nice, very much like my '80 Maxim I used to have. This XS is a little louder and vibey though. I can see how the suspension/swingarm is a little on the loosey goosey side on these bikes, I hope tighty her up eventually. Until then and a fresh set of tires I don't plan on taking her out for some highway miles.

It was good to be out on two wheels again, quite refreshing. I'm actually looking forward to work tomorrow as I'll be commuting in style.

Bye for now guys and gals.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1