650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > An idea with too many beers behind it?

An idea with too many beers behind it?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
jfplaying
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2007, 4:49 pm    Post subject: An idea with too many beers behind it?

The other nite my"how fast can u go" buddy was over, looking at my project. After many hours we came up with thing idea. Twin turbos. He thinks it'll work with rite pluming and carb work. I say if it does'nt blow the tops off the carb, the heads will be next, if it ever runs.Any one ever heard or tryed this?
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2007, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: An idea with too many beers behind it?

Never heard of a twin turbo xs, but have seen a twin turbo hayabusa. Supposedly very very scary fast.
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2007, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: An idea with too many beers behind it?

I'd bump up the diameter of the cylinder studs. Why not just pump nitrous through the vacuum fittings if you want to blow up your engine?

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
jfplaying
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2007, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: An idea with too many beers behind it?

The idea was'nt to blow the engine, just more power. I've seen what nos does to a motor, aint getting any where near my motor.Twin turbos was just an idea we came up with, if nothing else it would different and look pretty cool.
XSKID

PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: An idea with too many beers behind it?

I am tempted to try a turbo system, but, I found this out... you need a small turbocharger that is happy with 4-6psi, not hard just expensive. You need an electronic ignition, no points. Also an MSD ignition control mudule would be in order, so it retards timing per pound of boost. You need to figure how your gonna jet your new slide type carbs for boost.

An intercooler would help to lower head temps wich seem to become a problem when cranking bigger numbers. And your plumbing packaging would be a mess unless your pretty skilled with a welder or rich enough to pay someone to figure it out for you.

In the end is it worth running boost for 5k miles or normally aspirated forever? Of course you can rob a bank and run forged internals?

y view on it is, for the track, have at it, but for a daily rider... why? My XS is my second bike now so I can give you my build sheet on a turbo system:

IHI V24 oil cooled and lubed turbocharger, high volume oil pump, oil cooler, remote filter kit to keep an eye on damage, MSD ignition, bosche/porsche bypass valve, slide type carbs, a bag of needles and jets, a dyno and about a grand to nickel and dime away into fit and tune.

All for a bike that will just be one of a kind, nothing new performance wise, or style wise.

Its possible, I am going to try it, I will try it on an XS400 to start with if I do go through with it. I have a 1982 Maxim 750 thats going to be a "euro" street fighter. So in the process I will grab some go fast goodies for XS intercepter, see what boost can do for us.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: An idea with too many beers behind it?

Cheapest way to get more power is to find a real steep hill and run down it......About 15 degree downgrade and mine runs half decent.........

John
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: An idea with too many beers behind it?

My rocket idea didn't go over to well, i think i'll stay out of it.
Photo Gallery
Kablazzie

PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: An idea with too many beers behind it?

This should do it:

I wouldn't do a TT though. It would build a more powerful charge and faster charge with pulses from both cylinders.
It is an aircooled motor, but for a race application you can run aux fans.
It is totally do-able, and with an XS built tighter than a frogs junk you can have something nuts.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1