650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Rich carbs

Rich carbs
    Forum Index -> Fuel
BobJJ
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2007, 10:03 am    Post subject: Rich carbs

Hi all, I have a slight problem. I have a 75xs650B with 38 carbs. I installed pod air filters and open mufflers about 1 foot long. Problem is it's running very rich, black soot and smells rich. It starts and runs great. If I accelerate slow it moves great, but do quick throttle noise goes up but bike not. Clutch not slipping.
I installed 130 main jets and 47.5 pilot jets, I didn't move the needle clip on the slides though wondering if this could be it. I turn air screws in and cylinder speeds up when the screw seats bottom, so I turned them out 1 1/2 turns just because. Did this on both sides. Thanks for all help
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: April 27, 2007, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rich carbs

What kind of pods are you using? If they're the $12 cheapies, then they're probably blocking the air ports around the intake bell. All fuel and no air equals rich running. Try a test run with the filters removed.

Your mixture screws (these carbs don't have air screws) should be set for fastest, smoothest idle speed. The initial setting point for your model is 3/4 of a turn out. This is just a suggested ball park setting to get you started. From there, work the screw in/out to find the ideal spot. At twice the suggested setting, you're probably a bit rich. This being a true mixture or fuel regulating screw, the more you turn it out, the richer you make the idle circuit. A larger pilot usually requires less opening of the screw, about 1/4 turn per size increase.

When you increase pilots and mains, they bleed over into the midrange and make it richer. Many times you need to drop the needle (lean it out) to compensate. Stock, your carbs should have a 4N8 needle with the clip in the 4th slot from the top. Move the clip to the 3rd slot to lower it and lean your midrange.

Here's the air ports you may be blocking .....

carb mouth.jpg
 Description:
Air Ports
 Filesize:  36.73 KB
 Viewed:  1890 Time(s)

carb mouth.jpg

BobJJ
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2007, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich carbs

Thanks for the help. The air cleaners are the cheap ones, I pulled them off and then the rubber boots off the air cleaners and put the boots on, the 2 small holes were open but the top long one was covered, a little work with the jack knife and they were open. I also lowered the needle one notch to 3. Took it out for a test run, Runs great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got 53.9 mpg in town running rich now lets see what happens. Again thanks alot.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1